O2 Delition

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Gotta delete it with a scan tool I believe.

Id buy an O2 and change it. It does help with your air fuel ratio they arent there for decoration.

They are 50 bucks, the socket is 10 bucks. Cheap insurance, E. especially if you go to sell it.

on gm's it doesnt. just to let you know your cat is bad. maybe dsm's are different....?

E

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
State of Confusion
Real Name
E
i took the code out of my pcm in the GTP with no problem. i'm assuming you dont have a Cat so i dont see an issue. do you have a tuner?

You assume correct, i don't have one. Also no i don't have a tuner.

on gm's it doesnt. just to let you know your cat is bad. maybe dsm's are different....?

There are 2 o2 sencors on the exhaust. One just after the turbo and one after the cat. I know its the one after the cat coz i had it checked at AZ.

An O2 throws more codes then just cat is bad. It tells you if the A/F ratio is out of wack, atleast it does since 1992.

A/F ratio is the job of the first o2. I know eventually the Check Engine light will disappear after a month or so since that what happened in the fall when i first removed the cat. i just don't want to wait that long and also i have to take it to emissions

WhiteDevil

Armed
Jan 5, 2008
You assume correct, i don't have one. Also no i don't have a tuner.

There are 2 o2 sencors on the exhaust. One just after the turbo and one after the cat. I know its the one after the cat coz i had it checked at AZ.

A/F ratio is the job of the first o2. I know eventually the Check Engine light will disappear after a month or so since that what happened in the fall when i first removed the cat. i just don't want to wait that long and also i have to take it to emissions

I know yours has 2, it comes with OBDII territory. I was refering to his Gm statement.

WhiteDevil

Armed
Jan 5, 2008
Im stating that it does on mine, its a 92. OBDI single 3 wire sensor.

LS1 has what 4 sensors?
how many does a 3800 have, they used to have just one as well.

You might be correct but all gm's isnt the correct wording to use.

Automotive oxygen sensors, colloquially known as O2 sensors, make modern electronic fuel injection and emission control possible. They determine if the air fuel ratio exiting a gas-combustion engine is rich (with unburnt fuel vapor) or lean (with excess oxygen). Closed-loop feedback-controlled fuel injection varies the fuel injector output according to real-time sensor data rather than operating with a predetermined (open-loop) fuel map. In addition to improving overall engine operation, they reduce the amounts of both unburnt fuel and oxides of nitrogen from entering the atmosphere. Unburnt fuel is pollution in the form of air-borne hydrocarbons, while oxides of nitrogen (NOx gases) are a result of excess air in the fuel mixture and cause smog and acid rain. Volvo was the first automobile manufacturer to employ this technology in the late 70s, along with the 3-way catalyst.
Information on oxygen concentration is sent to the engine management computer or ECU, which adjusts the mixture to give the engine the best possible fuel economy and lowest possible exhaust emissions. Failure of these sensors, either through normal aging, the use of leaded fuels, or fuel contamination with silicones or silicates, for example, can lead to damage of an automobile's catalytic converter and expensive repairs.
Tampering with or modifying the signal that the oxygen sensor sends to the engine computer can be detrimental to emissions control and can even damage the engine. When the engine is under low-load conditions (such as when accelerating very gently, or maintaining a constant speed), it is operating in 'closed-loop mode'. This refers to a feedback loop between the fuel injectors and the oxygen sensor, to maintain stoichiometric ratio. If modifications cause the mixture to run lean, there will be a slight increase in fuel economy, but a great increase in nitrogen oxide emissions, and the risk of damaging the engine due to detonation and excessively high exhaust gas temperatures. If modifications cause the mixture to run rich, then there will be a slight increase in power, again at the risk of overheating and igniting the catalytic converter, while decreasing fuel economy and increasing hydrocarbon emissions.
When an internal combustion engine is under high load (such as when using wide-open throttle), the output of the oxygen sensor is ignored, and the engine automatically enriches the mixture to protect the engine. Any changes in the sensor output will be ignored in this state, as are changes from the air flow meter, which might otherwise lower engine performance due to the mixture being too rich or too lean, and increase the risk of engine damage due to detonation if the mixture is too lean.

Wikipedia.

Its amazing what a little part can do for an entire engine.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
I believe what is being said is that the FRONT O2 sensor on a car equipped with 2 O2 sensors, is the one thats vital to the engines performance, where as the rear O2 sensor is only telling the computer whether or not the catalytic convertor is doing its job.

The same goes for cars equipped with 4. Front 2 = vital Rear 2 = is the cat working?

Many 3800 and LSx owners remove the rear O2 sensors and do not have any problems.

WhiteDevil

Armed
Jan 5, 2008
I believe what is being said is that the FRONT O2 sensor on a car equipped with 2 O2 sensors, is the one thats vital to the engines performance, where as the rear O2 sensor is only telling the computer whether or not the catalytic convertor is doing its job.

The same goes for cars equipped with 4. Front 2 = vital Rear 2 = is the cat working?

Many 3800 and LSx owners remove the rear O2 sensors and do not have any problems.

I thought the rear unit compensated for what the front one didnt catch or didnt adjust right in conjunction with the cats performance.

If they are running the same wire sets they are both connected to the same thing on the other end.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
the second O2 simply relays performance of the catalityc converter to the computer. the first sensor handels all the engine management functions. you could theoretically not even have the second sensor and the car will behave exactly the same as if it had the sensor, save for the MIL being illuminated

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
the second O2 simply relays performance of the catalityc converter to the computer. the first sensor handels all the engine management functions. you could theoretically not even have the second sensor and the car will behave exactly the same as if it had the sensor, save for the MIL being illuminated

Ala 92-95 civics and 94-01 Integras only use one pre-cat O2, and thats it :bigthumb:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info