Help me find a turbo diesel

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
From my days in the boonies where all my friends owned Diesels, these were generally the 3 recommended used Diesels in that range:

98-02 *maybe only 01?* Powerstroke (7.3 International motor, nearly indestructible, and a decent transmission behind it, Known for being quite thirsty and the stock trans doesn't like to hold much more than stock power.)

200...3/04? Cummins (in 2003 or 2004 Chrysler re-did their automatics behind both the gassers and Diesels with better/stronger internals, can be fairly thirsty as well, but are known for being very stout and easy to modify)

03 or 04 Duramax (03 is the visual refresh, and 05's had a power bump with the Diesel so you may be able to get better pricing on an 03/04. They are known for Injector issues, and trucks not equipped with the Allison transmission lose some MPG and aren't quite as bullet-proof. My friends allison equipped 04 Duramax often got 20mpg+ on the highway with a tuner)

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
seriously. not an absolute thing.

hatereagle.jpg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
alright here we go.

gm.

2001-2004.5=lb7

injector issues.

not if, but when. injectors leak and fill the crank case full of fuel. not a fun job to fix but doable- injectors are inside of the valvecovers and require a special tool to remove, additionally the injectors are 300+ ish each.

they make good power and get good mileage, and most of the "fast" duramaxes are these motors.

2004.5-2005=lly

5 speed allison just like previous years... engines got the injectors outsdie of the valve covers... have a thing with overheating tho... which is fixable with different "mouthpiece"

2006=lbz or lly- mechanically the same as lb7- with 6 speed allison but not the same gnarly tune as a 07 lbz which was only available in the nbs (old body style for 2007) strucks.

6 speed allison is sweet and overheating issue was figured out

those are about the only gm's youll find around 15k possibly.

ford.

7.3. nutswingers like a gtr at an import night. they ended in 03.5... some 03s have em- lots have the 6.0
decent mileage... i drove a 7.3 excursion to wyoming and got 18mpg going 78mph... if this isn't decent mileage i don't know what is... can't be made very quick very easily- unlike the 6.0/cummins/duramax. easier to go faster in other diesels.

6.0 03.5-05... this engine is why the 7.3 is famous. egr delete is necessary imo on any 6.0... the egr is cooled by coolant from the engine, when it passes through the hot egr, it superheats the coolant and thats why you hear about popped head gaskets... i personally don't know what got better in the next gen 6.0 and you would have to find out to quote me, but many people like the newer 6.0s quite a bit. can be made quick with a tuner and get decent mileage. and sound o so sweet with exhaust....

05-07 6.0s. many lovers. many haters. personally if was looking for a diesel truck- this is exactly where i would be. the 6.0s are quick with tuners. additionally decent mileage. i would personally also delete the egr, headstud it, and put a tuner on it and fuck shit up. the ford trucks feel so much more truckish than the gms do as well. whether that be your thing or not. ifs rides so much nicer than the straight axle stuff imo...

dodge i don't know shit about. i like em tho. :rofl: wish i could shine some light with some knowledge behind it unlike spitballer boy above just blabbing.

so there you have it... if i were in your position- i would personally be looking for a late model 6.0... the injector thing scares me on the duramaxes and to get into a decent 04/05 duramax is normally big money. since there are so many 6.0s around, they seem to be cheaper imo than their duramax counter parts.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
additionally. i would also be looking at 6.4s... you can find fleet ones that were used by the gov't for your price range ish... and the 6.4s with a tune are FUCKING DIRTY. don't believe all the hype with the allisons... all the trans's in these trucks aren't that awesome once you put a tuner on em. the 6.4 has a pretty stout trans behind it though from what i have read- and 200hp tune works on it. :giggity:

C.Evans

TCG Elite Member
May 21, 2011
Sycamore, IL
I kind of want a diesel now. The dodge drive shafts like to twist into a pretzel and U-joints tend to break though when really hammering on them in stock form (truck pulls). I'd put a drive shaft loop in.

Just a quick video of a 24v. Basically just a really good tune and Exhaust on this truck which is all you said you wanted to do. He may have other things done as well. But just scanning through I didn't see anything

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSxsWFu3lpI&feature=related

School Boy

Spray the cubic inch at it!
Mar 28, 2011
Thanks a lot KJ. i am leaning towards a duramax. i am chevy guy and i would much rather have a durmax over a cummins or powerstroke. i love the way the silverados look but i would sacrifice that for reliability.

youre right about the injector issue, it scares the hell out of me which would make me lean towards a 6.0 powerstroke. what kind of power can it handle without head studding it? that seems like a big job.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info