Chrysler question.

DarkShadow

o.O
TCG Premium
Aug 1, 2007
Berkeley, IL
Ok so this car has me completely stumped.

1999 Dodge Stratus ES 2.5 SOHC V6 (Mitsubishi 6g73)

The car died out a couple months ago while driving and has been sitting since. Previous owner had a "mechanic" try and fix it and completely screwed this thing up.

So far whats been done to it parts wise is...

Timing belt (done as regular maintenance, did not break)
water pump
Crankshaft Position sensor
Repaired ground to CKP
Distributor
Map sensor
Upper and Lower intake gaskets
Plugs & Wires

So when it got to me, it was in pieces because the owner did not want to pay the dealers price to fix it. got it back together and it was running like hell. started diagnosing everything and found the bad ground to the ckp, fixed that and it was still running like shit. checked the plugs and they were fouled and covered in gas.

At that point i verified the firing order which was fine, checked everything obvious and still couldnt find anything. Checked the timing marks on the t-belt and they were off by 5 teeth (i did not install the timing belt before you go and blame me for this) corrected that and it ran slightly better but still had no power whatsoever and would backfire out the exhaust occasionally.

Ran an injector kill test on it and cylinders 2, 4, and 6 all made no difference at all when killed. checked compression and the motor has even compression across all 6 cylinders, checked the fuel injectors and they are not leaking down.

As of right now the only code the car throws is a p0300 random multiple cylinder misfire code.

anyone got any fucking ideas on this thing, because im out of them.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
18327_o.gif

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/5xfd4-dodge-stratus-es-2000-dodge-stratus-v6-2-5-igntion-issues.html

ok, if it is losing sync, then its most likely the timing belt has jumped a tooth, we see this alot on the 2.5's, most all other timing belts will jumpa tooth and strip out the belt, not on the 2.5. i ahve done at least 20 of these that will jump a tooth, and the belt stays intact, just did one last week, the Sync is for the cam shaft sensor and the cam sensor, if these 2 go out of sync, it will cause the missfires, and with 118k it is the most likely cause, you need to pull off the front cover and check the timing marks, the only thing that will cause a loss of sync,, is abad crank sensor, abad cam sensor or the timing belt, youve already ruled out the cam sensor, and iif its getting a constant crank signal, then it can only be the timing belt,Tim

Check your cam sensor(s)

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
kinda weird that the left bank is dead. i had to put 3 napa distributors then one from carquest in a 2.5 sebring to get it to run right. the cam sensor is a part of the distributor on these 2.5s fwi.
have you checked injector pulse? spark? was the distributor installed correctly? i hate those engines with a passion, and usually avoid working on them :rofl:

Wrencher

Regular
Sep 11, 2011
I hate these things as well.
I have had quite a few over the years. The EGR stuck open @ idle is common.
So are the distributors & the timing belt.

I seem to remember these being an interference engine.
If the belt was off it's possible. I know you said you did compressions.
But how high where they? Prolly not great since it's running terrible & likely loading up with fuel.
Done a leak down or a running compression test?

Another thing I've seen but not as common is the PCM.
It will kill injector drivers & cause issues.
But the problem being isolated to one bank I'd exhaust the mechanical possibilities.

If the motor checks out I would start scoping the CKP/CMP inputs + check correlation, then the injectors & the igition coil driver signal from the PCM.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Chrysler sensors are awful, and the off-brand ones are shit too, you may have gotten a bad crank position sensor, but the cam position sensor is another common failure point on Chrysler products. Also be careful of bolts, I CONSTANTLY broke bolts everywhere on the PT Cruiser I owned.

DarkShadow

o.O
TCG Premium
Aug 1, 2007
Berkeley, IL
I hate these things as well.
I have had quite a few over the years. The EGR stuck open @ idle is common.
So are the distributors & the timing belt.

I seem to remember these being an interference engine.
If the belt was off it's possible. I know you said you did compressions.
But how high where they? Prolly not great since it's running terrible & likely loading up with fuel.
Done a leak down or a running compression test?

Another thing I've seen but not as common is the PCM.
It will kill injector drivers & cause issues.
But the problem being isolated to one bank I'd exhaust the mechanical possibilities.

If the motor checks out I would start scoping the CKP/CMP inputs + check correlation, then the injectors & the igition coil driver signal from the PCM.

The distributor is a brand new unit, and i also swapped it with one from a junkyard to eliminate it as a possible issue and it didnt make a difference...

I did disconnect the egr tube to the intake and plugged the port to eliminate that as a possibility... no difference.

The compression readings were all around 150, spec is 179 if i remember right.

I did not do a leakdown test, thats next on my list of things to do...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info