3M Headlight restore kit

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I was having issues with the typical cadillac CTS headlamp fogging/spidering. I was looking into those wipe on, wipe off products and didnt think theyd have enough power to handle my mess. So after some research i found this kit by 3m that includes everything you need to wet sand and buff your headlights. after watching enough videos i felt pretty confident that it was foolproof enough to give it a shot. Boy am i glad i did and im pissed that i waited this long. My lights were so bad i was considering replacing them and now they are easily 90% perfect looking. i say 90% because i got lazy while doing them. i concentrated my sanding on the areas that looked bad when i should have done that same job to the entire light. i feel that if i had done that it would easily be 99% new looking. the whole process took about 1 hour and would likely take me even less time if i had to do another set and wasnt using a shitty cordless drill. anyway... on with the pix

here is the kit
3M-HEADLIGHT-KIT.JPG

and the before pics
5ca5d1de.jpg

d81a052f.jpg

and the after

b1da220c.jpg

9e273281.jpg

rating 9/10 simply because even though its foolproof, its still a good bit of work and your 2nd time using it will be much better than your 1st. The price is right too... picked it up for $19.95 at napa

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
dumb question for you .. but the haziness.. did it have sort of a pitted feel to it or was it just on the surface? my stocks are doing that.. would like to know if i can save them, or if i should just invest in new lights. trying to save the money since everything else is :jg:

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
dumb question for you .. but the haziness.. did it have sort of a pitted feel to it or was it just on the surface? my stocks are doing that.. would like to know if i can save them, or if i should just invest in new lights. trying to save the money since everything else is :jg:
Pitting needs sandpaper to smooth out the surface, just a haze you can usually get out with compound and polish.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
You coulda just used some compound and polish and would have gotten the same results. Or if they are really really bad you could just get some 800, 1500, 3000 grit sandpaper for a lot cheaper and do all your friends cars for $40-60 a pop and make some money.

I tried just compounding them a while ago and it did nothing. This kit is essentially the same thing you are describing but I doubt I could piece it together for as cheap as this kit was.

It was beyond pitted... It was literally like sandpaper before I started. Running my fingers over my headlights felt like sidewalk chalk

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
Where can you find this kit? I remember doing a 3M kit on mine a few months ago and never being able to get them quite right despite following all the directions.. ended up throwing junkyard headlights on the car for the time being and forgot about the stocks. This looks like a more involved kit

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Any parts store? I got mine at napa (walked there during lunch) and they usually don't stock shit and they had 3 or 4 in stock so I'd imagine any name brand parts store would have this. As far as the kit goes its just an arbor for your drill and you use the 500 grit paper, 800 grit paper, then wet sand with the 3000 grit disc, then polish them out with the supplied cutting pad and rubbing compound. I'm not sure what kit you got but like I said as long as you take your time you pretty much can't mess this up even though you will feel nervous after making your clear headlights frosted by sanding them with 500 grit paper lol

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Make sure you use a sealent that has UV protection often so that it doesn't happen again so fast.

I kinda don't understand how this happened in the first place... I keep my cars in the garage and generally park in the shade when I can... My emblems are all peeling internally as well.... GM quality at its finest I guess lol

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
From my understanding, the lights have a UV protective coating to protect against yellowing, hazing, and this stuff we see here.. over time, (this is what I've read..and what I get from that) I guess it evaporates or wears off, and the plastic isn't protected. I can tell you this shit never happened on my cars that had glass headlights (Suburban, Bonneville)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info