Holy title cost batman

Jfrost

TCG Elite Member
Dec 19, 2011
Brookfield
The DMV wanted $115 to get a title to a car I am sending to the junkyard to be scrapped. Its ridiculous that I'd have to spend about what I'd get in scrap metal just to get it titled so a junkyard will accept it from me.

Luckily I have a friend with a yard that will take the car with a title not in my name, but that is signed over to me.

KnightFan26917

Old Cars, Strong Hearts
Apr 28, 2009
Elgin IL
So went to transfer the plate and title to the srt today. Holy crap...... 80 dollars in taxes plus the 2 fees for the plate and title??? Total was 238.

Gotta make the money so they can "waste" it somehow.... Ba humbug.

When I titled/plated my '79 Caprice Classic 2 years ago, I was mildly stunned at how much those fees had increased in just six years (last time I had plated/titled a car was mid-2003). I don't have the paperwork in front of me, but from your total, it seems those fees have gone up since, too. Unless ... it's just the difference in taxes. The last few cars I've bought, I've only paid $25 in taxes, probably because of the age of the car and a private purchase/sale.

Cort | 38.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker + cowValve | 5 MCs + 1 Caprice Classic
* Radio.HolidayCDshowcase | 12.24.2011 | Noon-4p.CENTRAL | www.wrmn1410.com *
"Will I be merry or will I be blue?" __ Deborah Allen __ 'Rockin' Little Christmas'

KnightFan26917

Old Cars, Strong Hearts
Apr 28, 2009
Elgin IL
I hope you have antique plates on most of those monte's. That's a steal at $25 for 5 years.

I haven't gone that route ... yet.

According to the "rules", with antique plates, vehicles are only to be driven to shows/cruise nights and such, not to work or "every day" driving activities. Since I drive the MCs more than to just shows/cruise nights, I've stayed with the regular plates ... for now. With my luck, I'd be the one to be pulled over and ticketed for "illegal" use of antique plates...LOL.

BUT ... I know a few people that have them that have had NO trouble, even driving the cars to work. So ... as the cars come up for renewal again, I may switch to the antique plates. It definitely is a steal ... and a definite cost-cutting measure.

Cort | 38.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker + cowValve | 5 MCs + 1 Caprice Classic
* Radio.HolidayCDshowcase | 12.24.2011 | Noon-4p.CENTRAL | www.wrmn1410.com *
"The children want to know why we hung the mistletoe" __ Ronnie Milsap __ 'It's Christmas'

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info