why i need vin # to get parts from dealer?

nemesis

Addict
Aug 28, 2007
chitown
i went to jenning chevy dealer on saturday to buy an alternator for my swap. the parts guy told me he need the vin # off the truck i told him i don't have it cuz i bought the motor for the swap and have no idea or how to get the vin #. he said he can't help me then, that's BS!! i don't see what's the problem and why i need the vin #. i told him the year of the truck it came off and what motor size and he still won't help me. anybody work for a chevy dealer can hook me up? i don't want to buy a remanufacture one from auto zone.

ef_vtak

Power of Dreams
Mar 25, 2009
You realize that for a given year and motor there are about 4 different alternators that could come on the thing

this. its so they dont have to deal with idiots not knowing what they have, makes it much easier on the parts department and helps removes them from fault. There should be a vin tag on the engine itself, I believe it is a requirement as of late 90s.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
automotive professionals LOL. Hardly since most of them all they know how todo is input a make and model into a computer and find a part number.

I cant comment on the "part number" problem that someone was having earlier.. kinda silly that they needed the VIN for an EXACT part number.

But when someone wants a GENERAL part (brake rotor for instance) for a SPECIFIC truck, which has 4 engines, 2 different types of calipers (dual or single piston), Phenolic or ceramic caliper piston, 2 different GVW #'s, 3 different wheel bases, and before or after build date 06/00... yea, we need the vin number.

Again, automotive professionals.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info