Ask me those odd-ball car questions

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Despite all the shit I'm given (and hand out), and how opinionated I am, I have gathered a damn-near encyclopedic knowledge of all thing "Late Model" automotive over the past decade.

I get PM's once or twice a week from members asking me about Transmission compatibly, my experiences with certain beaters, what years/makes/models came with what engines/transmissions/options, or what type of cars to be looking for in a certain price range..

I'm not trying to be cocky by starting this thread, I genuinely like to help my fellow gear-heads with what is otherwise a fairly worthless knowledge base on a day to day basis.

So this is just an open invite to members and haters alike, ask away, now there is a thread for it for others to maybe gather some useful information from as well.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Would you prefer synthetic or non-synthetic Headlight fluid.

@1:56

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HZnIoFAGps&feature=youtu.be&t=1m56s

Can I just ask you questions I don't actually need the answers to, but just want to make you answer them?

:dunno: If you have some stupid question you are curious about, sure, but I'm not going out of my way to answer questions that are just for the sake of asking questions to take advantage of me opening this invitation :ugh:.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
tell me about 02 R.A.N.G.E.R's with 3.0 v6, 5 speed, basic as fu**, ect.....

It'd be nice if an admin/mod changed that back....

The 3.0 v6 is honestly the worst of both worlds unless it is strictly highway, or you are needing an E85 capable truck (not all 3.0's are E85, but that was the only R.A.N.G.E.R motor offered with it).

My roomate has a 01 R.A.N.G.E.R with the 3.0/2wd/auto, and an absolute dog. My 4.0 4X4 R.A.N.G.E.R got better mpg in town, and had far more torque/pickup.

The 98+ 3.0's also are known for eating cam syncro's (Which drive the oil pump) with as low as 60K miles on them ($40 part, and fairly easy to replace, but a failure can result in a roasted motor very quickly).

On the highway, with a 5 speed, in 2wd guise they can actually kiss 30mpg, and have decent passing power once rolling.

The 5 speed transmissions are typically VERY stout (M5OD-R1), and their most common failure (Not that they fail commonly) is a very cheap repair (shift forks).

Unless you need the cargo/weight capacity (or have found one for a screaming deal), I'd aim for a 2001+ 2.3 4 banger truck (they changed to a Duratech family engine that year), which will get 20's in town, and 30's on the highway without an issue.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I've always heard the those later 4 banger duratechs are dog's as well. Decent mileage, yeah, but extremely low power, and hard to mod.

They are dog's as well, but they get the same or better MPG of the previous 2.5 "Pinto" derived motor, and have nearly the acceleration/power of the 3.0 V-6 trucks.

3.0 V6: 145hp/178tq
2.3 I4: 135hp/153tq (and rated about 7mpg better)

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
How do I swap an sr20det or k24 into my car?

You don't, LS1's are of course a good option:

http://www.drift.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2751

attachment.php

The other posts I'm not replying to :hsugh:

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
Being a respectful gentleman does.

That's the worst fucking answer ever.

Hello Miss, I see you are 'driving' a very nice "1994" Beretta. Did you "know" that the 2.5l is quite "stout/strong" and should last for 'a while'. Your transmission ("'"'''Mx-543l7""'""') on the other hand 'is' subject for "worry'"*^.

Do you like ******s?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info