Subaru bov question?

budsang1

From 45's to STi's
Jan 25, 2010
Galesburg, IL
Not sure what the deal is here, 05 sti, perrin front mount, perrin open atmospheric bov, defi boost gauge said 18.5. This was a little strange as to why it was this high, there is no boost controller on it, but i'm not sure how the wastegate is controlled on subarus.
Car came this way, previous owner gave me stock bov with it, so I put it back on the car tonight. Went for a drive and according to defi boost gauge, I am now hitting stock boost, 14.5-15psi.

I am confused what is causing this, why would switching a bov make this change? Why was it 18.5 to begin with? Could the perrin have been leaking causing a boost spike of some sort? But it saw 18.5 all day every day, very consistently??? Needs some help

Thanks

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Subarus come with a stock electronic boost control solenoid. The stock one sucks but can make 20+ psi it'll just taper off drastically.

It's a stock turbo right? I'd keep the stock BBV on it and make sure the tune is good. A good tune is the key to not blowing up a Subaru...otherwise it's pure luck.

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
TCG Premium
Jun 9, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
the BOV should have no effect on the process of making boost, unless it got stuck open. even if the BOV was welded shut, the boost control would still be dependent on the wastegate.

perhaps some sort of vacuum leak somewhere? that boost control solenoid has to take a reading somehow.

not an expert on subarus, but as a system in general, you are correct in saying the BOV should have no effect.

another thing to check is where the boost gauge is tied into, as in manifold pressure or pressure in the charge piping.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info