Storing a car over Winter

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I REALLY thought there was a thread dedicated to this, and couldn't find it, just some assorted suggestions to avoid rust.

I have an Unheated garage available to me to put my Mustang in for the winter.

The plan currently is to park the car in the garage, and put a car cover over it to prevent it from getting scratched by people bumping into it in the garage (My fathers house, I'm just 'renting' the garage basically). I'll Run it once or twice a month, and try and do this on clear days so I can take it around the block so the tires don't get flatspots or anything.

Any other suggestions?

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Honestly I wouldn't even bother running it over the winter. Just going to put a lot of water in the exhaust that you won't really burn off. Everyone has their voodoo for their car though.

At this stage you are probably only going to store it for 5 months tops.

Full tank- Stabil
Over inflate tires/scrap of carpet underneath if they are really soft compound.
I just unhook my battery.
Steel wool in exhaust pipes to prevent nests/critters getting in there.
Mothballs/mouse trap near engine bay(when it was stored elsewhere in a large warehouse)
Wash and wax and then put the car cover on. Lean a piece of thick cardboard next to it if it is parked next to other cars for door ding protection.

jvert

Go Bulls and Cubs
Jul 27, 2006
Honestly I wouldn't even bother running it over the winter. Just going to put a lot of water in the exhaust that you won't really burn off. Everyone has their voodoo for their car though.

At this stage you are probably only going to store it for 5 months tops.

Full tank- Stabil
Over inflate tires/scrap of carpet underneath if they are really soft compound.
I just unhook my battery.
Steel wool in exhaust pipes to prevent nests/critters getting in there.
Mothballs/mouse trap near engine bay(when it was stored elsewhere in a large warehouse)
Wash and wax and then put the car cover on. Lean a piece of thick cardboard next to it if it is parked next to other cars for door ding protection.

I agree, I usually put a bounty fabric softner sheet in my car. Helps prevent bad smells.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
What about lifting the car off the floor?

Just leaving the suspension hanging there is bad from what I hear. Given my car is a 300zx that suspension has hung there for longer periods when I was rebuilding the block. Just what I was told. I put on my extra set of crap wheels and then stack and store my nice ones to keep from scuffing them while I work on the car.

Agree with the not leaving the battery on concrete. I usually keep a couple 2x4's to put them on when I have them removed from the car.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
everyone i know who stores their car in the winter usually puts it on blocks or stands with the wheels off :dunno: what's stopping you from that?

modern tires are less prone to "flat spotting" as weird as it sounds. sure, might get a small bit but your best bet ultimately would be 4 cinder blocks under frame, wheels off, battery tender on and start it and let it warm up once a week or once bi-weekly, and x2 on sta-bil and a full tank of premium :jg:

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
I would leave the doors closed but not shut. What I mean is latched but not all the way closed so that the rubber seals are not completely compressed. Same deal for the trunk and hood.
Cardboard or plastic underneith, so you know if there are leaks and to act like a vaper block.

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
everyone i know who stores their car in the winter usually puts it on blocks or stands with the wheels off :dunno: what's stopping you from that?

modern tires are less prone to "flat spotting" as weird as it sounds. sure, might get a small bit but your best bet ultimately would be 4 cinder blocks under frame, wheels off, battery tender on and start it and let it warm up once a week or once bi-weekly, and x2 on sta-bil and a full tank of premium :jg:

If new modern tires are less prone to flat spotting, what's the point of pulling the wheels and putting the car on jackstands??

We've stored the Monte the last 8 years with just Sta-Bil in a full tank, a fresh detail, cardboard underneath the car, and extra blankets draped over both sides. We've never had flat spots at all, and the tires have been on the car since we bought it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info