getting into detailing

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
i went to the junkyard and picked up the worst black hood i could find. using a porter cable 7424 i went to work.

1) washed the hood using Meguiars Gold Class car was.

2) Clayed the hood using Mequiars Clay bar and a quick detailer as a lubricant.

3) washed again

4) taped off a 2x2 square in the middle of the hood. using a CCS orange pad, i applied a small amount of Meguiars 105 compound on the pad. with the buffer off i spread the compound around the square. turned the buffer speed to 4 and went to town. going in a pattern up & down then side to side. i worked the polish until it was just a light haze. applying moderate pressure in the beginning and slowly releasing pressure towards end.

5) wiped the square clean using a microfiber towel.

6) using a clean CCS orange pad, i then repeated step 4 but using Meguiars 205 instead.

7) wiped the square clean using a microfiber towel.

8) applied 2 thin coats of Poor Boys liquid wax (which smells ***ing amazing!)

IMG_7042.jpg

IMG_7041.jpg

IMG_7037.jpg

IMG_7036.jpg

IMG_7038.jpg

IMG_7039.jpg

jvert

Go Bulls and Cubs
Jul 27, 2006
Yeah, I wouldnt be scared to just try in on your car. The porter cable 7424 is a good "starter" tool. It doesnt get hot enough to ruin the paint. Dont get me wrong you can add more swirles but I wouldnt be scared of burning through the clear coat or paint. I started out with the same PC.
To really check if you removed the swirl marks or just filled them in. Take a rag and put some rubbing alcohol on it and run it over the part you buffed out. Some products will be good fillers and just fill in the swirls and dont remove them at all. Take your time and keep up the good work. From the looks of it, you've got it down.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• ldyzluvdis06
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list