Is there such a thing as a paintjob between $300 and $3000?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Looking for getting a re-spray on the explorer in spring since the roof is absolutely baked from being from Florida. Truck is straight as an arrow minus 2 or 3 small dents so minimal work is needed for prep.

MAACO is the typical "Cheap" choice ($300-500 for basic job), but as many obviously know, that only typically lasts 2-3 years before falling to shit. Granted I only seem to keep my cars for 2-3 years before unloading them........

On the flip-side, it seems if I'd like to get it professionally done, so that it looks like new again (Not show-car worthy, just back to looking like new with a very common ford OEM color) I've only gotten quotes above $2800 or so, and for that much money I'd rather buy and trailer a clean shell up from the south...

Any places anyone has any recommendations for that is cheap, but not MAACO? I'd like the truck to be something I can be proud of in spring, but I don't want to spend stupid money on it since it's just a 15 year old ford SUV...

1997 ford explorer sport, roof is baked to the metal in some places, body is mostly very straight minus 3 small dents that are in places that can not be popped.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Do you ever research anything yourself?

Yes, there is a big difference. Maaco will do a cheap spray job for that amount poor prep, orange peal, and paint all over the place. If you are looking to go cheap, a pro body shop might be able to paint just the roof and blend it in.

I have done lots of research on the topic, but paint quotes typically involve driving your car there, leaving it for a few hours for a real quote. I don't have that time to burn, so I'm looking for input to see if there is a middle ground.

I am almost curious how the truck would look if I just painted the roof black and said to hell with it.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
See if RedBull will pay for it to be done so you can advertise for them. ;)
Miami-Car-Wraps.jpg

Otherwise, on a more serious note, check into vinyl wrapping the truck.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I have done lots of research on the topic, but paint quotes typically involve driving your car there, leaving it for a few hours for a real quote. I don't have that time to burn, so I'm looking for input to see if there is a middle ground.

I am almost curious how the truck would look if I just painted the roof black and said to hell with it.

Well if you did your research, you'd know that it doesn't take a few hours and you don't have to leave your car there for a respray quote. No reputable shop is going to give you a quote without talking to you and seeing your car, so an opinion on this thread really isn't very credible.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
Do maaco jobs at least look good for the few years that they last? A couple years ago I thought about having the car done there and just getting it re-done somewhere else down the road, but I was told that it would look worse than the scratched up factory paint.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I will do it for $6000.

No joke

Thats about what my dad would charge also. He says paint-jobs are not a simple thing todo, take a ton of time, and most importantly better money is to be made doing other jobs. Paint isnt cheap either. Pretty sure when he painted my grand prix hood he said the paint/clear was $100 something. I was like :ugh:

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
welcome to the automotive world! anytime you get anything on your car worked on someone's going to want to see it. i would think you've figured this out by now :retard:

Yep and people :io: when I tell them bring the car by my dads for a quote. Sure I can quote something simple like painting a new hood and install or he can do it on the phone. But if little susie backed up your junk into a light in a parking light and you think you need a bumper repaint you better bring it in. Because at times more damage is seen by a trained eye. I remember this one car that came in got rear ended. Looked as simple as new bumper cover/reinforcement. Not untill you lift up the carpet in the trunk and find out the whole car is crunched in. Now you got a repair that costs thousands more then u thought it would.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
The point seems to be missed I suppose.

I can get a flawless "Shell" from a state like TN for $2k...

My question essentially is there something between a full on pro job, and Maaco, or are Maaco's middle of the road jobs presentable. Are there other places LIKE maaco that have a better reputation?

I know I'll have to bring it in for a quote regardless, but I'm not going to spend what the truck is worth for a paintjob.

bdyman

can i haz bondo?
Sep 9, 2008
cicero
Real Name
chris
you guys think its easy??? doing body work, doing the prep work what he wants done is close to a month of work i dont give a rats ass if its a brand new gm shell its still our labor its still the cost of material the last car i did with my discounts on material was over 1500

what we do for a living is a talent, some people have it some dont lets see some people on here make bondo straight and make it look like a dent was never there lets see and painting that is a god given talent i dont give a rat ass what anyone says a guy could be taught but painting takes a level of skill that not to many people on here have with the exception of me and dan lol

what we do is not as easy as some people think and when i give estiamtes and show pics of my work that is 20yrs of hard labor training being taught, not by watching a youtube video or going to a trade school fuck that!!!

for forum members i give a 10% discount on my work most shops dont give any!!! due to the coat of labor and material if ya think its so easy come be my apprentice for a day or a week, and then people will see thats its not so easy

my shops motto "get it done right the first time" someone brings me a hacked up backyard hillbilly job your paying twice or 3 times more because now i have to redo what you and your beer drinking buddies did to make it right

so leave it to a professional pay the money and everyone is happy

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
bdyman,

I never said it was easy. I simply asked if there was any vendor/shop/place aside from maaco that did a better job at a slightly higher cost.

I will not spend more than $3k on paint because I can replace the whole truck for less than that... I like the platform I currently have, but have no intention on spending 10 times what I paid for it to get it painted.

Back to my question, are there any shops similar to MAACO that have a better reputation. I am in no way saying painting cars is easy, or cheap.

I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND why pro jobs cost 6-7K, and immediately stated I'm not looking FOR that because of the price, and cost of the build.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info