Car Broke Down. What Now?

Atomicles

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
Schaumburg
I'm new to this section of the forums. I hope I posted this in the right place.

My 2002 Dodge Intrepid is broke down. The timing belt broke, and it's going to cost 2-3k+ to repair everything. I've decided not to repair it, and to just get a new car. However... this was my first car. I've never had to dispose of a car before. I was hoping TCG might be able to me figure out what to do.

Right now it's sitting at a Firestone about 2 blocks from my house. I've asked them to hold onto it for the day until I figure out what to do. Do I try and donate it? Should I sell it to a junk yard? Is there some other option(s) I'm not thinking of?

Thanks,
Aaron

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
As already mentioned, you should just unload it. The Chrysler 2.7 and 3.5 motors are VERY hard to find in running condition from a junkyard (and if you do, and the yard KNOWS what it is, they will charge you up the ass for it, I've looked in the past, $1000-1500 normally)

Cityautowreckers would give you $50-100 for it, and they will even come tow it away. I don't know if you can donate a non-runner?

Find your Title asap as well.

Atomicles

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
Schaumburg
I don't remember exactly. It was the belt and two other things. They said they'd have to order two of them, and that would take about 2 weeks for delivery. That alone was going to be a little over 2k. Then they said they needed those parts to see if there was any engine damage. And if that was damaged, it would cost even more. I'm sorry... I was just a little in shock at the price that I didn't even write down the parts :(

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
But seriously I bet someone out there would buy it to fix up themselves either to drive or flip.

As I mentioned earlier, these motors are NOT cheap in running condition. It is a VERY hard sale for someone to buy/fix/flip one of these cars with a dead motor.

Say he puts it up forsale for $500, it may not be worth much more than $2500 or so repaired. if you get lucky and find a Jyard motor for $1000, you stand to make MAYBE a grand on a flip. It is not a cake-walk job swapping motors on these, and you can probably make the money easier elsewhere with less time invested.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
As I mentioned earlier, these motors are NOT cheap in running condition. It is a VERY hard sale for someone to buy/fix/flip one of these cars with a dead motor.

Say he puts it up forsale for $500, it may not be worth much more than $2500 or so repaired. if you get lucky and find a Jyard motor for $1000, you stand to make MAYBE a grand on a flip. It is not a cake-walk job swapping motors on these, and you can probably make the money easier elsewhere with less time invested.

IF SOMEONE PAYS HIM $500 WHO GIVES A FUCK

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
IF SOMEONE PAYS HIM $500 WHO GIVES A FUCK

I was saying even at $500, AS SOMEONE WHO USED TO FLIP CARS

It isn't an attractive proposition due to how much investment and time it needs for the pay out.

I'd rather do the leg-work and flip 2-3 cars for the $1000 that need to be detailed and have an oil change rather than put $1500 into an old dodge to try and make the $1000 off of.

I was suggesting that his best bet was to just scrap it, or if Panda can pick it up, hell. The car is at a repair shop, it can't sit while he waits for it to sell, and I was just saying it isn't an easy/quick sale unless you sell it for scrap prices anyways.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
$500 > $100.

Say the shop charges $40 a day storage

Car takes 10 days to sell for $500

What does that equal?

What would a scrapper give to him for the car?

for the 3rd time, I'm stating it would be easier to scrap it unless PANDA is on top of it, or another member.

I sold a CHERRY loaded 2003 sebring convertible with a spun bearing for $700, and it took 3 weeks and was pulling teeth with people over the price. They aren't easy sales.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info