1995 ford Taurus sho

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
syp's sho runs 13's right? Maybe he'll post up some info for you.

syP's SHO probably ran absolute bottom 14's. He raced my bone stock Cobalt SS a few times, and it was very close each time up to about 100, he would usually creep on me right at the very top. The Cobalt's are known to be lower 14 second cars.

His SHO also was a 3.2 swap (Manual transmission, Automatic motor, Manual cams, "The best of both worlds"), with essentially Full Bolt-Ons: Big Bore Butterflys, Y-pipe, extruded/honed runners, CAI, Exhaust, the aforementioned Manual cams. I don't think he had underdrive pullies... that'd be about it though.

As already mentioned though, this is NOT the vehicle you want to be in for drag racing.

Question #1: Is it Manual or Automatic?

Question answer for Auto: Sell it, the transmission will explode.
Question answer for Manual: Weld the Diff pin so the transmission doesn't explode.

Question #2: What is your budget?

Question answer for $1000-3000: Big Bore Butterfly valves for the intake manifold, Extruded/Honed intake runners, Catless high-flow Y-pipe, and spray the bejesus out of it and enjoy.

Question answer for $5000+: Home made turbo kit

Regardless of either answer, expect to drop $500 on maintenance items before you do anything else. You need to perform the full 60K service on the car to get the most out of it, hands down. If you do not know what this is, Google it, or sign up for www.SHOForum.com or www.SHOcago.com

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Do the 60k first. Valve shim adjustment, timing belt, tensioners, water pump, clean out the intake runners, replace crank sensor, etc. From there, the best bang for the buck is a Y Pipe and an intake for sound. Big Bore butterflies don't add much power but make the kick at 4000 more apparent.

Truly there's no way to make it faster in a 1/4 mile race. The heavily modified cars run the same 1/4 mile as the stock cars; they just have different power bands so the highly modified car is going to tear up the stock car in the higher RPMs. You give up low RPM power in these engines by modifying them though and they don't have much to begin with so they make terrible 1/4 mile cars.

bigshotsho93

Regular
Sep 15, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
mike
sell it and buy an MTX sho or if you want to drag race, sell it and buy a mustang. big horsepower SHOs don't even do well on a drag strip. my last time there i broke an axle on the line and that is a very common occurrence some even when shifting 1-2 or 2-3. then you get to worry about the differential pins coming out and sawing through the trans case, so you need to "weld the diff" or get a quaife, or wavetrac diff. after all the things you need to do just make the SHO hold together on a strip your still the guy at the strip in a taurus. if you want to have alot of fun in a SHO mod it up and take it to open track days on road-courses. they handle great and have the top end power to make them a blast on the twisties.
just my opinion. do what you want.

9DSM7

Regular
Mar 25, 2009
well i know i messed up by buying an Auto..MY dsm ruined driving a stick for me.
and i was going to switch out the TRANS anyways. and i thought the SHO motor was detuned a lot? but i guess ill just throw all the bolt on i can and do the suspension work and make it look as nice as possible..very upset though was really hoping i could of had more fun with the car..o well
im getting a G8 in april :p

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info