Knock on Accel from a stop?

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
My wife's Murano states that the car can run 87 octane - which is new for the 2011 year. For a while now, when we accelerate from a stop, a clunk/ping appears. Both the dealership and I believe to be knock now since I use to think there was something lose in the front suspension...

So the dealership says we need to run premium now even though the manual states:
Use unleaded regular gasoline with an octane rating of at least 87. Oh and damage from knocking that wasn't attempted to be remedied would not be covered under warranty.

more of a :fu: thread... Screw you Nissan.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
The Nissan VQ engine has always preferred premium gas, ever since the VQ30DE was introduced in 1995. It will run on good quality 87 gas, but 91+ is recommended. Majority of Nissans with the VQ35 state premium is recommended for maximum performance in the manual and on the gas door. You get better engine response, gas mileage and piece of mind running premium for a few bucks more.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
I don't think Nissan is being "dicks" about it. They can't control the quality of the gas out there. So one could try to find 87 octane that works in harmony with the car, or just use higher octane. Keep in mind that even though you'll be spending more at the pump for mid grade or premium, you'll get better gas mileage (as you've experienced). So it'll likely be a wash in the "net cost" department. Plus, it'll run a bit better and provide more power.

If they are stating it can run on 87 it should be able to run on it without issues such as pinging or knocking. This issue needs to be addressed under warranty and any damage tot eh internals of the engine covered too. You are going to have to fight with them on it. As I have said before NEW CAR WARRANTIES ARE MORE USELESS THEN USED TOILET PAPER.

Wrencher

Regular
Sep 11, 2011
I have seen some issues on nissan 6's with knocking.
At higher milage it can get worse. They seem to be really sensitive to even slight carbon build up & dirty injectors.
I would try mid grade too, see if that keeps it happy.

There are some TSB's for the older 3.5's for pinging.
The crap gas around here dont help either.
I forsee a PCM update in the future for ping issues I bet.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info