Looking for a new DD. E90 M3?

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Hi all, I'm debating whether or not to jump to an e90 M3 or not. I'm eying up a couple used sedans with 6 speeds with low miles. I'm ultimately looking for something that is more ready for HPDE's, but can also be driven year round including the winter with snow tires. I put very little miles on my cars since I work in Vegas during the week so buying new doesn't make much sense. I like my 335xi and she is pretty torquey, but it just doesn't beat the feel and fun that an m3 has especially since my 3er is an Auto.

What I got: My current ride is an 09 335xi sedan with steptronic. It's got the cold weather package and premium package, but otherwise she's not optioned up. Current trade in value with 32k miles is at $29K in it's current condition of very good. Car has been paid off for some time so no worries about paying off the remainder of the loan.

What I'm looking for: A lower miles m3 e90 sedan. It must be a 6speed and sedan (Unless Turk wants to sell me his M3:)) is my main criteria.

So what should I look for in a used m3? I'd like a stipper m3 as I don't care for idrive and the premium stereo systems. What are some of the options I should consider since I want to do the HPDE's?

Here is an example of what I'm looking for. I went to check this car out and drive it. I noticed that their is a catback and it potentially is on lowering springs. Otherwise everything is immaculate.
http://chicagobmw.billjacobsbmw.com/web/used/BMW-M3-2009-Naperville-Illinois/1895288/

8w_800.jpg

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Jason, the S4 will be worth 30 grand in 3 years, and nicer interior? That's subjective. If the M3 has catback and lowering springs, please take a look at the lower subframe and the bolts that hold it to the diff. If you take it for a test drive, let the engine warm all the way up, floor it in second and shift it into third at 8000rpm, this will let u know if the synchros are good. For tracking days, you are going to want M-mode and EDC, which I believe is only available with i-drive.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
MEGACOMBOOOOOOO reply!

What about a newer supercharged S4? It's got a much nicer interior and build quality. Plus you get AWD and a factory forced induction platform if you want to mod it down the road.
I will check out the S4's. They are nice, but the thing is that the S4's are still quite heavy and I don't know if they are up for the task compared to an M3 which is pretty track ready, at least from a newb prospective.
I dig that M3, shits hawt. Like Jason said tho, check out the S4. At least drive one, then decide.
Ok, I'll try one, but only because you said so
or an 09+ CTS-V.... Wagon :dunno:
I'd be down with this, but the only 4 door SC cts-v around is in Ohio. I'd like to get a feel for the car and trans before I make any road trips so that puts me in a catch 22.
Jason, the S4 will be worth 30 grand in 3 years, and nicer interior? That's subjective. If the M3 has catback and lowering springs, please take a look at the lower subframe and the bolts that hold it to the diff. If you take it for a test drive, let the engine warm all the way up, floor it in second and shift it into third at 8000rpm, this will let u know if the synchros are good. For tracking days, you are going to want M-mode and EDC, which I believe is only available with i-drive.
I read up on the EDC and that can be give or take depending if I want to go with a coil over suspension setup down the road. Do you have EDC? Do you notice much about it? The car shifted hard, but I can't recall if I ran it up to readline or just past 7k rpm. It was up there though. It feels good with no sign of slip or hard shifting.
BTW, this car might have a tune. He changed out the kidney grills and deleted the orange front reflectors. There could be other things done to this car that aren't very obvious.
Yeah I noticed that the kidney's were blacked out, didn't see the reflectors. Is the tune a flash based thing or a piggyback? Any way to tell? I have a Bav Tech cable so if there is any way to scan for it I could do so.
And I'll sell you my car for 62K.
Tall order for a car that has on going belt wine issues. :hsughlol: but it is so drool worthy.

BTW, thanks Turk, i knew you'd be able to spot some of those things from a mile away. I'm still getting familier with M3's. The car has no headers and the cats look like they are in tact. I said catback, but it's more like an axle back muffler and tips only type setup. Nothing in the engine compartment I can see(pulley/intake).

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
The car does have headers (it has headers stock). S4=335, RS4=M3. Don't get the S4, you'll be happier with the M3 for around the same price. There is no way to tell if it has a tune, they are flashed, even the dealers can't tell if there's a tune, but I wouldn't be worried either way, most of the tunes out there are very safe, haven't heard of anybody having any problems with any of the tunes. My car is fully loaded, premium everything navigation etc, and yes, I have EDC and yes, it makes a huge difference. I drive on the stiffest settings all the time unless I'm on the highway, makes the car feel much more connected to the road. I believe if there is no EDC, the suspension is dynamic.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Oh, and M-Mode is FTW. For the first 1200 miles I didn't use it, cause I was breaking the car in. I thought the car was kinda boring and a little disappointed, then I found M-MODE. BOING!!!!! Completely different animal!

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
I needs to has this M-mode. What exactly is it and how do you turn it on. I see the little power button next to the shifter and on this particular car there is a blank where the EDC button would be and then DTC next to it. Sooooooo, where is m-mode? Sorry for the noob questions and hell yeah I'll buy that UD pulley off of you.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I will check out the S4's. They are nice, but the thing is that the S4's are still quite heavy and I don't know if they are up for the task compared to an M3 which is pretty track ready, at least from a newb prospective.

Drive one with the active diff. Vogz has a new one and it drives like a smaller car. He took his car to Autobahn so maybe he will chime in on how it drives on the track. As for drag racing, he ran 12.8 which will be faster than most stock M3's from a dig.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
M3 is a great daily driver, too. You may miss the low-end torque of the 335 but the M3's huge rev range and high power band means it can easily be a mild cruiser. M Drive is great for putting the suspension and throttle response in normal mode for around-town driving.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info