Double DIN GPS recommendations

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Ok, I think that I am going to do a Double-Din GPS In-dash navigation. Basically the features that I want would include Navigation included, USB (front or rear), Bluetooth phone and streaming, CD player. I don't need a DVD player or anything like that. I have basically no experience in the car audio field, and I really don't need something sounds outstanding, just a good interface and will play the music (it's going through the stock speakers anyways). I have gone through crutchfield and amazon looking for some different models, and would like to stick to name brands (none of the off brand Chinese shit), so JVC, Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood, etc, and I would generally like to keep the cost < $700. I've located the harness kit and the dash adapter. Would need an antenna adapter too, but that should be it...Now I have 0 experience with doing electronics work, so I would more than likely have someone do the install, any places you all recommend that does good work and cheap? I really don't want to bring it to Best Buy, but I will if all else fails. Thanks in advance.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Pioneer F700BT or F900BT if you want live traffic. I had one in my Grand Prix. It's inexpensive, gives you lots of audio control, looks stock and just worked well. Plus the maps are stored in the unit so you don't deal with the CD/ DVD loading.

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
May 17, 2010
West Bend, WI
I really don't want to bring it to Best Buy, but I will if all else fails. Thanks in advance.

Hey, I do a good job :( I'm stealing my other installer's customers, and he's been with the company for 11 years now. haha

Anyway, Kenwood uses Garmin, Sony uses TomTom, JVC is googles maps, Pioneer is Navteq's iirc...

That being said, I have the DNX6160 in my car. Older model, but I'm happy with it. Newer model DNX6180 is a bit laggy, I don't know if they have an update in the works for it or not...
Older Pioneers are good, newer ones seem ok, however I think the navigation looks cheap, and their quality and feel seem cheap this year all around.
Sonys aren't bad, but I hate Tomtom. Also a bit laggy

The JVCs, I really haven't played with them yet, maps seem ok, they have a lot of info on them...

Runtz52

Runs like a turtle with downs syndrome
Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
check sonicelectronix.com
and also onlinecarstereo.com

i have ordered from both multiple times, both usually have free shipping on orders over $100, shipping is typically 5 business days (both companies based in california) so its not bad. either one of those 2 sites usually has the lowest price around and iirc onlinecarstereo.com has price match

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Alpine makes a good unit. Had bluetooth calls/music, nav, aux imput, and played DVD's (good for my friends as we take alot of road trips, etc..) The one I was looking at was a bit shy of $1,000 6 months ago, so it may be down from there. I recommend JDhedman for any installation, he's got a durango to feed now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info