Help me pick a car...and learn me about high mile Audis

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
How are audis after 100k? Mainly early 2000s A4s and A6s. I know I would never touch a VW with over 100k...constantly blowing gaskets, random electronics start taking a shit, water pumps, ect. Same idea with the Audis or are they a little better? I was pretty set on an Acura but I just can't seem to find the right one for the right price, so I'm starting to weigh other options now. I was thinking of taking a look at this...2002 A4 Quattro with the 1.8t motor. Looks crazy clean.
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ctd/2668616833.html

There's also a really nice 2 door 2002 330ci with nav and harmon kardon that popped up for sale for around 7,500...but doing some research it seems like they don't go anywhere without a fight in the winter even with snow tires and repairs are extremely costly.

RossiGTP

Young Gun
Oct 23, 2008
Portage
Real Name
Cody Rossi
That seems like a pretty high price for the car with that mileage. I like audi and VW's a lot but I wouldn't purchase one unless I bought new or with low mileage. There just like the VW's if you ask me, same water pump and timing chain issues. Every audi seems to have its own special electrical problem. There awesome cars dont get me wrong but I'm just not one that likes working on german cars and paying for german parts. That car tho does look super clean but idk about the price.

chris101

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2009
Mt. Prospect, IL
Real Name
yes
Maintenance is Key with an audi A4

Do your research on audiworld and other audi forums.

We opted for the 2.8 Audi in our case because of how well known it is to be a reliable engine often going over 200k and some even 300k before rebuild (not common for an audi 1.8 in comparison)

BTW: I would never get a tiptronic (automatic) audi after all the automatic transmission problems I have seen and heard about (but that might just be me along with the fact that I prefer manual stick shift cars!)

and FYI: Audi and VW are one in the same.. so the 1.8t engine problems are the same problems in the Audi... timing belt has to be replaced every 60k miles (some wait until 80k but waiting 100k like factory not a good idea and a risk) and the factory water pump with the plastic impellers should be replaced with the metal impeller one just the same

I sent you a PM btw.

My husband used to own a 2001.5 S4 Negaro blue and couldn't be happier that he doesn't own it any more (talk about expensive upkeep the older it gets!!!!)

Electronics on a German car (and I don't care if it is a VW, Audi, BMW or Mercedes) is NOT going to be as reliable as a Japanese utility car like a Toyota Camry (just the way it is).... The bottom line is what you are willing to put up with. Are you willing to 'put up with' the lackluster Japanese 'feel' for the sake of bullet proof reliability? Or are you willing to put up with potential electrical glitches that need addressing in a German car to get that German car hard to explain fun factor?

chris101

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2009
Mt. Prospect, IL
Real Name
yes
^ having owned Porsche, VW, Audi AND BMW --> I give BMW and Audi the same 'reliability'

I had a 2001 BMW Z3 that had to be in the shop 5 times for electrical issues the 1st year of ownership (all under warranty but still annoying as all hell). ABS issues, Electric seat issues, power window issues and power steering issues all under 10k miles old!

Meanwhile the Audi was in for warranty work 3 times in 1 year

With the increase of BMW electronic gadgets now, I would not want a newer BMW with that Idrive system...

everyone else's personal experiences may vary of course!

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Either a BMW or an Audi is going to nickel and dime you in electronics and small crap versus the drivetrain. If you're looking at A4's, I think the 330i is probably a much better car.

As far as A6's go, the 2.7T is a quick car but the A6's have a sometimes troublesome transmission that is not considered to be serviceable and costs $3000+ to replace.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Mercedes is the one German car make I haven't owned (not yet anyway) so I can't speak to that with 1st hand experience.

Me too but because they're well known for having abysmal quality from the early Daimler/ Chrysler years until a few years ago. If I want a car that will rust and constantly break down I can buy a 2004 Taurus. No need to get a Mercedes. :)

chris101

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2009
Mt. Prospect, IL
Real Name
yes
^ I wouldn't go to that extreme either. I know of plenty of 10 year old american cars with their share of issues.

..and my parents got 15+ years out of their 1st Jetta and I know the 2nd owners got at least another 3 years out of it before I lost touch... now they love their 2002 Jetta with the only issue being the windows fell down (known issue)

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
I'm just looking for something fairly nice that doesn't cost a ton to maintain and won't give me a bunch of issues. Thanks for all the input guys, it looks like I'll probably be steering clear of the audis. Looks like I'm back to being stuck on Acuras, I love BMWs but just don't think I can take the maintenance cost right now. I guess I'm not totally opposed to an American car if it has good build quality, I just don't want a rattle trap, no saturns, no cobalts (or chevys in general), ect.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
i was told don't buy an audi before 1997... then don't buy an audi before 2000... then don't buy an audi before 2003...

i don't know why i'd buy an audi when the germans make such wonderful bmws anyway

That's what I was thinking too, I would buy a bmw if they didn't cost so much to maintain. Smooth ride...quick...run forever, but the maintenance cost would just kill the wallet.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
bmwcca members get discounts on parts from the dealer, i don't really know if in general the parts are really all that worse anyway. i klutz around what i can but my bro and bud are able to help do (or do most of) maintenance work. nothing has ever been too bad though. i'd be pretty comfortable with an e46 330 really. with decent snowies i think it would be fine too.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i had a 1989 535i. with all seasons on it was a struggle at times. i got some decent snows and was good after that. probably over-confident really but it worked well. you'd have the advantage of more modern traction control in this. i would shop for 16s and get something skinny and nice.

i would caution against entry level ones; i've bought 3 sets of snow tires new now for various cars. my last set for the 545i i bought used. there's a lot of tread left, but they are entry level snow tires... and i'm not all that impressed. were cheap though. i used to work 30-40 miles from home, now i work at home or drive to ohare mostly though. so sticking with these for now.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
I've got a few friends that buy older and higher mile Lexus LS cars for their cheap daily drivers. Seem to be very reliable and you still get the "nice" car look and feel. With any older car though, try to find one that's avoided winters full of road salt. So check a vehicle history report to see where it has spent most of its life. I'd also consider an older non-turbo Subaru from a state without roadsalt, like a Legacy, if you don't mind a less prestigious car.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info