Acura CLs?

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
Decent cars if I can get a good deal? I'm thinking about taking a look at one I saw for sale by owner on craigslist. It looks really clean in the pictures, and the guy said it's running perfect. It's high mileage 160k or so IIRC, but I guess he just had the timing belt and most of the gaskets changed, as well as had new brakes and tires put on in March. It's a 98 with the 3.0 V6. Seller seems pretty honest and straightforward.

UNCTYPE-S

Regular
Jun 18, 2008
Chicago
I'm the one Emersonhart is referring to but I had an 03 CL-S (2nd Gen) and don't know too much about the 1st Gens.

How much are you looking to spend? You can find a 2nd Gen for that many miles for $5-7k and are much more fune to drive + 6speed option. Easily my favorite, most reliable car I've ever owned (not including my current one).

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
I'm the one Emersonhart is referring to but I had an 03 CL-S (2nd Gen) and don't know too much about the 1st Gens.

How much are you looking to spend? You can find a 2nd Gen for that many miles for $5-7k and are much more fune to drive + 6speed option. Easily my favorite, most reliable car I've ever owned (not including my current one).

Probably just a few grand. Unless I can find an 04 black/black TL with navigation in my price range, I'd be happy to take out a loan with that few grand down for that.

UNCTYPE-S

Regular
Jun 18, 2008
Chicago
Probably just a few grand. Unless I can find an 04 black/black TL with navigation in my price range, I'd be happy to take out a loan with that few grand down for that.

I'm not a huge fan of 1st years of new generations. That was the 04 TL so if you're looking that route also, I'd look into 05's.

The Trans in the Auto's are glass just like your GP's but surprisingly mine was good. Installed the oil jet kit for 2nd gear and was golden. I did know some CL owners replaced their tranny 3+ times. Even after their warranty expired. :eek3:

The first gen is not a bad car but for that money, maybe you can find a new civic for that price?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I like the idea of buying auto honda/acura products, because it often means the owner wasn't an enthusiast and didn't whomp the piss out of it all the time.

Are these transmissions not serviceable like the civic autos? anyone know? That'd be a bitch IMO if they were glass and couldn't be flushed etc...

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Yeah I'd love to grab a TL, but anything over a few grand I couldn't pay cash for.

Not talking about the 04'+ cars... look for a nice 2000-2002 (ish)

This body style

2002_acura_tl_3_2_type_s_blue_in_jacksonville_florida_93938539676086659.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info