1986 Toyota MR2 clutch swap

Well where I work I do all sorts of mechanical projects. Today on and off I was working on a 1986 Toyota MR2. Non turbo, 5 speed. The ultimate goal is to replace the clutch setup and possibly the flywheel. Why... I'm not really sure.

Any advice to be offered, tips, tricks, etc?

As it sits now I have the exhaust off, the axle shafts off, the undercovers off, the air box off and a bunch of other odds and ends. All that is left is to zip off the three motor mounts on the driver's side and then tilt it down and un bolt the tranny.

Thanks!!!

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
you seem to have everything pretty well figured out.... just some general clutch installation tips:
replace or resurface the flywheel if it is scratched or has heat checks in it.
use a clutch alingment tool when bolting up the new pressure plate/clutch disc.
make sure not to touch the flywheel with any grease or oil, and just as a precaution, spray it down with brake parts cleaner before you install the pressure plate/ clutch

James

TCG Elite Member
Jan 18, 2008
use a clutch alingment tool when bolting up the new pressure plate/clutch disc.
make sure not to touch the flywheel with any grease or oil, and just as a precaution, spray it down with brake parts cleaner before you install the pressure plate/ clutch
If you don't have an alignment tool (you should...but shit happens) then you can put the pressure plate on loosely and stick a screwdriver into the center of the disk/flywheel and swing/rotate the screwdriver in a circle to get the clutch disk centered. Then tighten up the pressure plate obviously.

I agree with above ^ just like how brake rotors are shipped with a protective goo coating so they don't rust on the shelves....spray down the pressure plate surface EVEN IF it looks clean already.

Last thing- some people don't realize that starter bolts can be extra long and be holding the engine tranny together- it's a good idea just to take the starter off first instead of scratching your head later on.

Last edited:
Yeah when I have done clutches in the past like my Mustang I cleaned off the freshly resurfaced flywheel and the new pressure plate just for good measure.

As for the starter it's already off, as with the two top tranny bolts. All that is left is to remove the mounts underneath and then tilt the trans down an dun bolt the bottom.

I'm just concerned about tilting it and how well that other motor mount will hold up when I tilt it down.

I know I'm workin in a shop posting for advice on work but I have never touched one of these even in all my schooling. I am taking it as a learning job!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• G
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list