SPEED INC good or bad?

AlwaysVTEC

Addict
Mar 20, 2008
let me know what you think, after hearing countless build issues with these guys i can honestly say im going for the BAD. hearing the mustang story puts me over the edge, how can a company like that even stay in bussiness? i have heard horror stories from every tune shop, but SPEED INC has by far the most i can think off...... jeez
im assuming the techs and owners are great people but the quaility control or somothing is missing. Only thing i know thats fast from thier shop is cars going to other repair facilities.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Per the other thread, My thoughts on this situation:

I don't understand why Tom stepped in to defend himself as no one was accusing speed Inc directly of a poor quality build on this car (until after he posted), nor did CHOPPZ say 'Speed INC did a poor job building this car'. The only thing that was posted was saying "it sucks it wasn't done right the first time" and CHOPPZ agreed, and then went onto saying he would be rebuilding it 'right' this time. He didn't challenge the quality of Speed Inc's work, he simply said he would do it better this time.

Infact, it makes me wonder about the quality of his work and customer service since he personally posted on our site, for the first time, defending the quality of his build, and blatantly blaming a customer for its demise while the customer said NOTHING bad about the company!?

You will loose of business by blaming your customers who aren't even saying you did a bad job, or BLAMING your company for anything, he in fact ACKNOWLEDGED THERE IS NO WARRANTY. You will not get my business for just that reason.

You should have simply apologized for the failure, and if nothing else offer to replace the plugs which failed *even if the block is fucked, it would be a token of good faith that would cost you maybe $20, instead of pissing off a heard of people* or offer a spare block or something (You're a shop, you probably have plenty of spares) which again, wouldn't cost you much, and would show you as a stand-up guy with good customer service instead of being a Douche regardless of who's fault it is.

Also, this should probably be moved to the vendor feedback section mook/mod.

skeezer

TCG Elite Member
Jan 3, 2008
Luke's Beef
No, it shouldn't.

Making a decision by the site adminstration of that nature basically is being biased in terms that the broke Mustang thread is because Speed Inc built the car. It's clearly stated that the car changed hands MULTIPLE times; yet people are still going to blame the shop that built the car? That's completely asinine to point the finger at the shop when God knows who many retards had their hands in the car since then.

WhiteDevil

Armed
Jan 5, 2008
the customer service needs to be tip top to get repeat business.

Word of mouth is the key, got bad shit going down, doesnt matter how many hands( if any) have been under the hood, if someone has a bad expierence then they will pass that along and ultimately hurt the business.

I never had work done by them, so I cant say here nor there on them but I got my opinions on other shops. However from what Ive heard I would never take a care there and that has nothing to do with any car or person on this board.

Theautoguy

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2007
Machesney Park, IL
I've never had them do work for me because I know better and seem to do well locally. Pfeiffer's automotive in Freeport is my choice for machining. (He's does work for the Barrett family!) With that being said, I have a close friend who had them build an LT1 for his 2nd gen Camaro and it falled...catastrophicaly. When he tore it down he found that some of the parts he paid to be in the motor were not!!! This was 3 years ago or so so I don't remember exactly but I think he found a cast crank instead of the forged unit he bought for it. It was enough frustration from that for him to back out of the car scene all together.

I've heard if you know the guys there real well or are a higher profile customer they do good work; if you're just a guy off the street the results have been sketchy.

However, I can say that if you get hooked up with Bob for the tune, you're solid! He will only tune to safe specs for the what the car's set up will handle! I have never heard of a Kurgan tune end with a bad outcome.

Last edited:

SVT SPEED 04

TCG Elite Member
Jun 9, 2004
there is good and bad you hear from any shop

have we had issues? yes and we address them in the best way possible if we are aware of them. We do far more work then any shop in the Chicagoland area and that could make it look as if there may be more issues then the others, but in all reality the percentage of our come backs are far less.

We have never built any LT1 for a 2nd Gen car that I can recall. I am unsure who you are or who you are referring to...please email me the info

in regards to tearing down a motor and looking at it... if this is in regards to Aarons / CHOPPZ 06 GT well VT sent us a complete assembled long block which we installed along with injectors and a GMS turbo kit. We would be unaware of any issues or wrong parts in that motor if this is what you are referring to.

cheating people has never happened here...you pay for what you get. We do not have a 6-8 week back log or cars shipping to us from as far as Germany due to poor work. The word of mouth things goes a long way and if that was the case we would not be this busy based off peoples remarks here about us doing poor work and other shops always fixing our mess ups.

I am unsure where all the hate is coming from, but please know the facts if you are going to try to make us look bad. The he said / she said stuff is getting old.

if any one of you or someone you know has an issue with us please have them email Tom or I and it will be handled promptly

[email protected]
[email protected]

thanks

Larry

Theautoguy

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2007
Machesney Park, IL
It may have been an LS1 assembled short block but it was going into a yellow 2nd Gen Camaro and the guy's name is Reuben "Big Bill" Johnson; probably about 3-4 years ago., Bill is one of the most trustworthy guys I know and he knows way more than enough to be mistaken about part swapping. He discovered the issue after the motor failed the season after putting into the car. As I remember, the failure was a result of those parts not being used instead of the stock pieces.

As for me, I’m nobody, just one of the faceless mass that float around outside of Tom’s circle.

However, once again given Bob’s involvement, things must have gotten better since then.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
a buddy of mine, mike had a procharger kit installed there that constantly popped hoses and leaked boost... it wasnt that bad though since the car was undrivable with the transmission that speed inc never got right. and i have a feeling they will remember this guy cause he was probally an asshole and he only has one eye

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info