What's the general consensus on brake lines.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
As title says.

Bought '02 Grand Prix GT, Stepdad wants it since I'm probably keeping my Impala to replace his aging '99 Astro.

One of the brake lines that goes across the lower firewall is rusted through to the point it spurts brake fluid out every time the brake pedal is pushed to any degree.

Asked a buddy of mine who runs the local Car-X (has good employees working there, is the only place I will take my car now if I'm not working on it) how much it'd cost to replace the two. $250.

My stepdad seems to think that's a bit on the high side because we are "short on money" and instead wants to go to the junk yard and cut some lines off of a GT/GTP/SE/W-body and use those to replace existing lines. He has no experience with hard brake lines to my knowledge and the only braking system knowledge we have is pads/shoes/rotors/drums/soft lines/caliper replacement/bleeding. That said, I don't know if it's the best idea HE/WE do the lines. His outlook is "it can't be that difficult"

I see it as..well I think it's a foolish risk. If I don't know how to do something, I ask or take it somewhere if I don't have confidence in myself to do it. To save a hundred bucks or two hundred bucks, is the risk of losing your life really worth the hassle of paying a bit knowing it's done right and having wiggle room if shit does happen?

tl;dr, stepdad wants to replace brake lines on a new (to us) car with junkyard shit to save dollars and I think it's a dumb idea. am I right?

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
you'd be better off getting new lines and/or bending them and flaring them yourself but if its beyond your mechanical ability then you're better off getting it done.

its not hard but it does take some specialty tools and knowledge.

either way i wouldn't bother putting used brake lines on a car.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
you'd be better off getting new lines and/or bending them and flaring them yourself but if its beyond your mechanical ability then you're better off getting it done.

its not hard but it does take some specialty tools and knowledge.

either way i wouldn't bother putting used brake lines on a car.

X2,

The tools are affordable (I spent like $30 for everything I needed Minus a Rental flaring tool from Autozone which you get your money back on)

I'm still nervous making fresh lines, but it's very satisfying once the line is done and sealed up nicely etc.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
http://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55247&

I'll just post here instead of PM'ing you.

You will need a set of Line wrenches (like $5.99 at rock auto for a full set)

A brake line bending tool (was $9.99 at autozone IIRC)

A brake line cutting tool (Looks like a tiny PVC cutting tool, a pair of rollers on one side, and a cutting wheel on the other, was like $3.99 or so)

A brake line flare kit ($19.99 to rent at Autozone)

PB blaster obviously, and maybe some bungies to hold things in place while you measure. You may want a small tape measure too to see how long a line you need before you go shopping.

Nealoc187

slow
Jul 24, 2008
DG, IL
Real Name
Neal
ok just read the thread for real. i agree with you. i personally would make the lines myself, but if you aren't experienced with that or don't feel comfortable, have a shop do it. don't f around with ghetto rigging some used lines off a junkyard vehicle. the nastiness and annoyance of removing old ass corroded fittings and having old brake fluid all over the place is enough to turn me off from it, let alone the fact that these lines are used as shit, fittings possibly mangled now from being removed, lines bent in ways they shouldn't be, etc. fuck that.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
Gurnee. I tried explaining it and all he has in his head is "we don't have enough money at the moment" .. we got a good deal on the car, 101k miles no real rust no dents or scratches. So we bought it to work on / for my stepdad to drive for better mpgs than our astro.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info