FINC! I need your help!

TurboACCORD

3rd Mario Brother
Jan 30, 2008
I'm guessing since we both have 92's, it shouldn't be too different...

I found my oil leak. It's leaking from the connection from the oil filter to the block. It's a metal piece. I called AutoZone and they said I'd need to go to a Honda dealer for that. They did tell me it was a threaded piece so I might be able to get a filter wrench and screw it back in tighter? Because it's POURING out of there.

I was thinking of doing one of two things...

1. Go to Victory (my local junk yard ftw) and pick up this piece from an Accord then just get a new oil filter and change the oil myself in the process.

2. Say :gtfo2: to spending money and screw the bitch in tighter (although this method may not solve my problem... :dunno:

Thanks finc... and anyone else with some good advice :wavey:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I'm guessing since we both have 92's, it shouldn't be too different...

I found my oil leak. It's leaking from the connection from the oil filter to the block. It's a metal piece. I called AutoZone and they said I'd need to go to a Honda dealer for that. They did tell me it was a threaded piece so I might be able to get a filter wrench and screw it back in tighter? Because it's POURING out of there.

I was thinking of doing one of two things...

1. Go to Victory (my local junk yard ftw) and pick up this piece from an Accord then just get a new oil filter and change the oil myself in the process.

2. Say :gtfo2: to spending money and screw the bitch in tighter (although this method may not solve my problem... :dunno:

Thanks finc... and anyone else with some good advice :wavey:

Could you take a pic of it with the filter off so I can see what needs to be replaced?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Finally you reply! lol

I'll take a few pics tomorrow. I'll have them up around 6 or 7. :bigthumb:

I almost suspect that its not broken at all, but that the previous owner changed the filter, and left the gasket that was on the filter ON the block, which would lead to a compromised seal when he (or you) installed a replacement filter.

TurboACCORD

3rd Mario Brother
Jan 30, 2008
He changed the oil a little while before I bought it. (mid January) I didn't start driving it until early February. I had a return line from my turbo leak. I fixed that around late feb. And this oil leak happened about early march. It started as a small leak, then progressed until now (a steady stream of oil). Would it still be two gaskets on the filter if it took this long to leak?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
He changed the oil a little while before I bought it. (mid January) I didn't start driving it until early February. I had a return line from my turbo leak. I fixed that around late feb. And this oil leak happened about early march. It started as a small leak, then progressed until now (a steady stream of oil). Would it still be two gaskets on the filter if it took this long to leak?

Well, you fixed your leak for the return line *which was leaking pressure*, so now that line is fixed, your system should be under a higher pressure *as it was no longer leaking* which could push oil past seals/blow out seals, etc.

I suspect its a gasket giving out, or a double gasket since you say it has been getting worse, and was after you corrected another oil leak. something to shake 'loose' on the car randomly after being around for nearly 2 decades is highly unlikely unless it was tampered with if its the piece I think you are referring to.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Ok cool. So then let's say I buy a new oil filter for 7 bucks or w/e. The gasket comes with it. Am I right here? So this could be as simple (cheap) as changing my oil?

it COULD be, but it could also be a number of other REALLY bad things (Cracked block, bad main seal, etc etc) since its such a severe leak.

I don't mean to sound negative, I just don't want you to think that changing your oil will fix all your problems (but its still a good idea to change your oil)

Really, you should be able to pull the filter off without even changing your oil since it typically sits fairly high on the back of the block (assuming yours is similar to mine) Just expect to get some oil on you of course. Take pictures like I said if possible so I can be 100% sure we are on the same page though please. (I'll take a peak tomorrow when I'm on for when you post pics)

My biggest beef with this whole situation is that autozone said 'go to the dealer, we don't carry that part' really means "we don't know what the fuck you need, and we aren't about to go look at your car to find out" My Girlie works there, and thats what the staff typically say "You have to go to a dealer/shop" when they don't wanna be held responsible for telling you to buy the wrong part since they aren't mechanics.

Last edited:

TurboACCORD

3rd Mario Brother
Jan 30, 2008
yeah lol

like right away this guy is telling me they don't carry that part and i'm like dude, I barely told you what it was. w/e though. I'll be sure to get under there again tomorrow and take some pics for you. It's clearly coming from that seal between the oil filter and the block.

Let's hope for the best... :x:

TurboACCORD

3rd Mario Brother
Jan 30, 2008
hey finc sorry man. I had to work on a school project like all day. I just got finished right now. Was workin with my buddy who has an STi lol

Anyway, I'll try to get a pic up in the morning if I'm lucky, but it'll most likely be around 6 or 7 tomorrow. Sorry man! Thanks for waitin though lol

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Really, you should be able to pull the filter off without even changing your oil since it typically sits fairly high on the back of the block (assuming yours is similar to mine) Just expect to get some oil on you of course.

lol:bowrofl: i cant believe you think that is the reason that you can take the filter off and not drain the oil.... you must know nothing about cars. going by that train of thought, you are saying if the oil filter is lower than the oil level, if you remove the filter, the oil will continue to leak out until the level is below the filter.... WRONG!!!! there is only one car on earth that i know of that is like that, and im almost positive you have never seen that motor... the oil that comes out of the filter when you change it is the oil that was in the filter and filter boss from before you took it off... that is it. remember that whole oil pump thing... thats gonna make it kinda hard for gravity to drain the oil through the filter boss.... im seriously ashamed at how retarded that statement was.

p.s. dont try to cover it and say thats not what you ment, because that is exactly what you ment...

TurboACCORD

3rd Mario Brother
Jan 30, 2008
Actually the oil filter is located very high up on the block which is why it only leaks when warm. If I have less than 1 qt of oil in when I pull the filter off, it will be fine. I'm trying to get some help on fixing my car. I don't need your preteen 2 cent comments everytime I try to get some help. Thanks.:s00ls:

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
ugh what he was saying is that if your engine is filled with oil and you removed your filter, you would ONLY lose what is in your filter. even if the filter was lower on the block. an oil pump moves the oil, oil doesnt just sit and splash up onto the pistons. it needs to be circulated, and it goes through the filter to be cleaned before going to the rest of the engine.

he was trying to teach you something so your not so clueless

Last edited:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Really, you should be able to pull the filter off without even changing your oil since it typically sits fairly high on the back of the block (assuming yours is similar to mine) Just expect to get some oil on you of course. Take pictures like I said if possible so I can be 100% sure we are on the same page though please. (I'll take a peak tomorrow when I'm on for when you post pics)

lol:bowrofl:
i cant believe you think that is the reason that you can take the filter off and not drain the oil.... you must know nothing about cars. going by that train of thought, you are saying if the oil filter is lower than the oil level, if you remove the filter, the oil will continue to leak out until the level is below the filter.... WRONG!!!! there is only one car on earth that i know of that is like that, and im almost positive you have never seen that motor... the oil that comes out of the filter when you change it is the oil that was in the filter and filter boss from before you took it off... that is it. remember that whole oil pump thing... thats gonna make it kinda hard for gravity to drain the oil through the filter boss.... im seriously ashamed at how retarded that statement was.

p.s. dont try to cover it and say thats not what you ment, because that is exactly what you ment...

I'm sorry for the retarded statement, but my answer to him was still correct (That you can pull the filter), the logic behind it wasn't, and now I know...

Mickey

Look at those low rates!
Feb 13, 2008
Normal, IL
Real Name
Mickey Cole
REPOST! Damn this car has some oil leakage issues... Does your car have an oil cooler or not? Your car is only leaking from a limited amount of places... Like I posted in the last thread about leaks. If its coming from the filter I doubt that the problem is anything other than the oil filter. I don't think your car has an oil cooler but it might, and if thats the case theres a gasket behind that but I really doubt thats the problem.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info