Need Traxxas RC car parts. Any good local hobby shops?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I'm looking for a hobby shop that carries RC car parts for my old Traxxas Nitro Rustler. Would like to have it running this weekend so online is out of the question. Most of the places list online inventory but I wanted to see if you guys have any experience with local shops. All the places by me have closed up.

I need a new spur gear and possibly a flywheel gear. Also a new EZ start assembly or drive gears and battery/charger. It's been five years since I broke this thing and it's been sitting since.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
in other news.. im pretty sure i need a rock crawling tamiya fj40. holy fuck this thing is too cool.

tamc0839.jpg

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUGU1

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
heres the about me to al's

Al's Hobby Shop is a family owned and operated business, and one of the 5 largest hobby shops in the United States with one of the largest inventories of hobby products in the country. We serve the greater Chicago Metro area, the Nation, and the world. Our web and mail orders ship daily to U.S. and global destinations.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
in other news.. im pretty sure i need a rock crawling tamiya fj40. holy fuck this thing is too cool.

tamc0839.jpg

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUGU1

I couldn't see the pics but is that the $700 ladder frame one with the 3 speed transmission? I want one of those so bad but I'd probably never run it for fear of smashing it. I'll stick to my 2wd Slash for bashing around.

Bru try giving Adventure Hobbies in Wheeling a call (used to be Venture Hobbies) or look up HobbyTownUSA http://www.hobbytown.com/StoreLocator/, they've got a store in Schaumburg, St Charles and a few other locations.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Going to drop by Al's tonight on the way home from work. I said it was five years since this thing has ran, but it's actually been seven years :fu:

Will start off with some fresh fuel, new glow plug and see if I can get it to fire tonight or tomorrow.

I'm having a problem with the spur gear meshing with the pinion gear but it sounds like I can move the engine closer to the pinion gear to increase gear mesh. I've wrecked this thing a few times so I'm thinking the engine may have moved a little.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Yea it's real easy. Loosen motor mount bolts on the chassis, put your paper in and push the gears together, tighten bolts and pull out paper.

Nitro rustler is a great (relatively) cheap RC car. I had one back in the day; hauls ass bone stock. Downside is the plastic shatters into tiny pieces. If you're buying any suspension arms I'd suggest RPM stuff. Not much more then stock and flexes vs shatters.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
:rofl: Yup.

I've shattered (and rebuilt) the front suspension a few times and also have bent the metal frame. There used to be this awesome little hobby shop back around the corner from me that I would buy all my parts from, but they have since closed.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Engine was seized after sitting for so long. Took the engine out, poured some oil down the glow plug hole and broke it loose. A fresh glow plug, fresh fuel and a little fuel in the combustion chamber and it started up. It wouldn't stay running but I think I need to prime it a little more since the carb and everything was dry. Just glad it fired.

Now I need to head back to Al's and get a spur gear, new battery and some suspension things that I apparently hacked together pretty poorly :rofl:

photo.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info