How much is this car worth?

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
So the woman has been wanting a new car and I want her to get one too because she's an awful driver and I don't like her driving something so small and light especially in the winter. She has a silver 2005 sunfire with about 96k miles. Mechanically the car is in pretty much perfect shape. Body wise it looks good with the exception of a dent in one of the rear corners from when she hit a gas station. Yes, you read that right, hit a gas station. Overall the only issues with the car at this point are that dent and an SES light for EVAP, which could possibly be because she forgets to shut off the car most of the time when she puts gas in it. 4-cyl. ecotec engine, awesome on gas, tranny shifts great, steers fine and drives straight. The major problem here? History is not on this car's side. It already had a rebuilt title when we bought it, and then she took the liberty of getting into three car accidents in a year, hitting a deer, and a gas station. Every time the car was hit (including the previous rebuilt title) there was no frame damage iirc and the car was fixed right, but still, that doesn't change the fact the the carfax looks fucking awful. How much is this thing worth at this point?

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Anyone who views the vehicle history report probably aren't gonna value it too well. Even if it was repaired properly, the rebuilt title and accident reports are gonna scare off potential buyers. With the title issue, it might only be worth half of what you'd see on KBB, for example... You'll have to discount it significantly to get someone willing to buy it versus another car with a clean history.

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010

wow dude

no disrespect

but she must know what shes doing in the bed if you guys are still together after she hit a deer a gas station and the small child that she didn't tell you about (+15 points)

if you don't get a better offer
i'll give you 500 bucks :)

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
how much are you looking to get? that car would sell pretty easily to some high school kid or their parents i would think.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, it'd make a good first car or something along those lines. It's an awesome dd though. Idk, just whatever it's worth I guess. If we could at least squeeze a couple grand out of it like xsec said that'd be nice. Would probably turn into a down-payment for something newer, she's just too dumb honestly to handle a car where even the littlest things go wrong so a $2k car won't work. For reference, she cried over a break job and didn't get WHY the brakes had to get changed (metal on metal..."but they feel fine! The car stops good!"), called me yelling and jumping up and down the first time the evap ses light came on, was tricked into a $95 oil change by jiffy lube, ect.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
If u want to all the car as is for under a g note let me know. Rebuilt title cars are hard to sell.

Yeah the first dealer I worked at awhile back my boss decided to dip into the rebuilt cars for a little while and it sucked. They're kind of a pain to sell because customers would pick them apart alot more than they usually would, and would think normal wear and tear issues were part of the accident. Like a slightly worn strut in the rear on a 115k mile car..."omg that must be from the accident the suspension's probably fucked". You do get that one out of every few people though that comes by and sees a car that's in good shape that can be bought for almost half of what it would usually go for anywhere else and scoop it up. Just takes time.

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
Yeah the first dealer I worked at awhile back my boss decided to dip into the rebuilt cars for a little while and it sucked. They're kind of a pain to sell because customers would pick them apart alot more than they usually would, and would think normal wear and tear issues were part of the accident. Like a slightly worn strut in the rear on a 115k mile car..."omg that must be from the accident the suspension's probably fucked". You do get that one out of every few people though that comes by and sees a car that's in good shape that can be bought for almost half of what it would usually go for anywhere else and scoop it up. Just takes time.

neighbor's kid's friend picked up a saturn something or another for 700 bucks. car had no speakers, no head unit no lights, half an interior, no hood, is missing an air filter and the maf, has no muffler and the body looks like shit.

i felt so bad for the kid that i gave him a set of stock speakers otta my convertible and told him that when he gets a head unit i'd help him put it in lol.

your car, regardless of title, is still DDable and still is able to get SOME respect.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
Yeah that's what I was thinking, plus with used car prices, especially on 4-bangers, being up the way they are it should hopefully be worth something. It runs and drives real nice and has a remote start that we just put on it. If she's gonna keep the car through the winter it'll probably also be getting power locks put in.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info