Cobalt SS owners Step in....

mr.gto

Deleted New Name
Jul 27, 2009
So been looking around at different cars to possible get for a DD when i graduate college in 5 months or so, and a few people have suggested a cobalt SS/SC. due to the fact they get over 30 mpg on the highway. So I wanted to see what you all thought and if they would be good or not.

Either personal experiences or things you have heard through friends about them. Ive ridden in a few but never for an extended period of time.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
If you're gonna talk down on something then give a legitimate reason other than it's what you have "heard" - and I do believe he said "OWNERS" step in. Looks like you have a Grand Am which isn't relevant to the Cobalt.

mr.gto, it doesn't sound like you have any kind of money bracket so what I can suggest is also look at not only the 05-07 Cobalt SS Supercharged but also look into the 2008+ Cobalt SS Turbocharged.

The real difference between the two is that the The SS Supercharged makes 205 HP/200 TQ while the LNF makes 260 HP / 260 TQ. As odd as it sounds, the powertrain is quite a bit more refined than the LSJ of the 05-07's. They both use the same transmission and that also seems to hold up pretty well. The other major difference that one can tell just by looking at the cars is that the 08+ has Brembo brakes at each front corner. The real question then is that if you really don't have a money bracket to fall into, then give both a try. It will end up coming down to what kind of forced induction you'd like to go with.. whether it be Turbocharged or Supercharged. If you go with the 08+ , the SS can be had with a much more practical sedan body (looks better at certain angles too.) The 08+ had a revised air dam assembly as well.

Both are great cars , both have their strong and weak points.. weak being mainly that the rear is a solid beam suspension like the older Cavaliers , that the styling is considered by many a bit "bland" (there's things you can do to make them much more lively and really stand out) or that the suspension rides firmer than Pamela Anderson's tits. The critics of the car seem to be the type of people who honestly have a closed-mindedness towards domestically-branded automobiles.

I'd honestly consider that.. and if you want something a little more interesting and distinctive if you will, you could check out the Saturn Ion Redline made from 2004 to 2007 which I think honestly looks great. It's the same exact car down to the underbody. It's basically like Grand Prix to Regal in the 3800 world. Looks great outside.

800px-Saturn-Ion-RedLine.jpg

The main usefulness I think the Ion has over the Cobalt coupes is that it has four doors.. but I don't know how I feel about the interior, even after all these years. It's a bit quirky looking inside.

Saturn-ION-Red-Line-Quad-Coupe.jpeg

My recommendation would be to test drive all three vehicles and see what you REALLY like. Also, I'd check out www.cobaltss.net, read up on common problems and see if you're completely okay with them from what you read and feel by searching/driving.

If you're looking at sporty FWD cars I'll also suggest the 200 HP 2006+ Honda Civic Si. Great build quality, awesome reliability, awesome handling and more comfortable than the Cobalts.. I'm a die-hard Chevy/GM guy and I'd be hard pressed to be able to make an easy decision if handed both keys and asked to pick one.. That's how good it is.

Good luck in your search man.

divasixstar

TCG Elite Member
Jan 27, 2007
Elk Grove Village
kia forte! =P haha actually though...

are you looking for a fast DD or just mainly looking at mpgs? also, do you want a 4wd or is 2 okay for the winter? (ive never had a problem with 2 wheel drive cars in the winter, but then again, im not the people that can't drive.. haha and im sure you can drive)

fast dd? well, the forte is nice, i can merge easily, but its only a 4 cylinder. =/ its a nice dd though for me! and gets good mileage.

slow dd? go with the ford fiesta, its really really really tiny, and looks funny, BUT it gets almost 40mpg and thats with hitting it hard... i mean, if you are only going for mpg and don't care about anything else, that's what i'd get.

and i guess to go with the question on cobalts... i was looking into getting one, but after looking at the different cars that are small like them.. the forte just felt better. go test a few cars out, research research research. i researched for weeks, my friends got annoyed. haha but for real, do what is best for you. ive heard good and bad things about almost every car out there, so i judge based on what i see and experience.

divasixstar

TCG Elite Member
Jan 27, 2007
Elk Grove Village
If you're looking at sporty FWD cars I'll also suggest the 200 HP 2006+ Honda Civic Si. Great build quality, awesome reliability, awesome handling and more comfortable than the Cobalts.. I'm a die-hard Chevy/GM guy and I'd be hard pressed to be able to make an easy decision if handed both keys and asked to pick one.. That's how good it is.

x2 :bigthumb: i forgot about the civic as i was typing my post. damn you for posting before me ::shakes fist::

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
Out of the Versa, Fiesta, Yaris and Fit.. I think the Fiesta brings the most to the table. The Fit is almost equally on-par in the looks section and power (IMO) but the others are JUNK.

If I was to ever pick one of those out of that group, it'd be a Fiesta. Besides, it's a charming car and just looks amazing in the right color.

2011+FIESTA+front+3-4+hatch..jpg

Also driven one. I fit pretty well.. and pretty peppy for what it is.

Pillion88

Regular
Nov 5, 2010
Naperville
Real Name
Justin Pillion
My apologies OP I should have been more clear. Here is a brief list of common cobalt SS problems from Cobalt owners. A popular cobalt forum has a 36 page thread dedicated to these issues and discuss them in detail. But then again who believes things they read on forums haha.

All Cobalts:

Body molding and fabric flaws,not fitting correctly or measured properly from the factory Sunroofed cars the operating button falling off and the track breaking
Headlight moisture
Exterior part's colors not matching exactly
Shift knob breaking off
Fog lights shorting out

Cobalt SS/SC:

Wheel paint chipping/flaking and clutch problems
Muffler's heat shield's baffles loosen, causing rattling noise
Wires melting and grounding out, causing rough or no start or rough driving/idle(Wires)
Rough shifting/Not going into gear
Windows rolling up slow
Speedometer gets stuck
Pinion going out in the rack and pinion steering

mr.gto

Deleted New Name
Jul 27, 2009
If you're gonna talk down on something then give a legitimate reason other than it's what you have "heard" - and I do believe he said "OWNERS" step in. Looks like you have a Grand Am which isn't relevant to the Cobalt.

mr.gto, it doesn't sound like you have any kind of money bracket so what I can suggest is also look at not only the 05-07 Cobalt SS Supercharged but also look into the 2008+ Cobalt SS Turbocharged.

The real difference between the two is that the The SS Supercharged makes 205 HP/200 TQ while the LNF makes 260 HP / 260 TQ. As odd as it sounds, the powertrain is quite a bit more refined than the LSJ of the 05-07's. They both use the same transmission and that also seems to hold up pretty well. The other major difference that one can tell just by looking at the cars is that the 08+ has Brembo brakes at each front corner. The real question then is that if you really don't have a money bracket to fall into, then give both a try. It will end up coming down to what kind of forced induction you'd like to go with.. whether it be Turbocharged or Supercharged. If you go with the 08+ , the SS can be had with a much more practical sedan body (looks better at certain angles too.) The 08+ had a revised air dam assembly as well.

Both are great cars , both have their strong and weak points.. weak being mainly that the rear is a solid beam suspension like the older Cavaliers , that the styling is considered by many a bit "bland" (there's things you can do to make them much more lively and really stand out) or that the suspension rides firmer than Pamela Anderson's tits. The critics of the car seem to be the type of people who honestly have a closed-mindedness towards domestically-branded automobiles.

I'd honestly consider that.. and if you want something a little more interesting and distinctive if you will, you could check out the Saturn Ion Redline made from 2004 to 2007 which I think honestly looks great. It's the same exact car down to the underbody. It's basically like Grand Prix to Regal in the 3800 world. Looks great outside.

800px-Saturn-Ion-RedLine.jpg

The main usefulness I think the Ion has over the Cobalt coupes is that it has four doors.. but I don't know how I feel about the interior, even after all these years. It's a bit quirky looking inside.

Saturn-ION-Red-Line-Quad-Coupe.jpeg

My recommendation would be to test drive all three vehicles and see what you REALLY like. Also, I'd check out www.cobaltss.net, read up on common problems and see if you're completely okay with them from what you read and feel by searching/driving.

Good luck in your search man.

price range i guess would have to be 12k and under i would be hoping for..... if I didnt have a price range I would go with something that has an epa estimate of already 40 mpg on the sticker. But 2wd is fine i dont need 4wd. Ive only ridden in the s/c cobalts, and i assumed the turbo one was better..... i mean I think thats what they should have done from the start..... I used to have an 04 SRT-4 and I think thats what the cobalt was trying to compete with and the s/c one i really dont think it could until it was modded. I just would like a clean one, that wont give me problems from not beating on it. Stock there still a peppy little car.

mr.gto

Deleted New Name
Jul 27, 2009
Cobalt SS/SC:

Wheel paint chipping/flaking and clutch problems
Muffler's heat shield's baffles loosen, causing rattling noise
Wires melting and grounding out, causing rough or no start or rough driving/idle(Wires)
Rough shifting/Not going into gear
Windows rolling up slow
Speedometer gets stuck
Pinion going out in the rack and pinion steering[/QUOTE]

And the windows rolling up issue..... doesnt bother me. I drive an F-body....... so yea. haha enough said

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
I rode in my buddies SS/TC and i was pretty impressed. If you plan on even lightly modding one then go with a TC. Overall you will have to dump in much more money than it's worth to make the SC run similar to a TC. There is much more room for growth with the TC. If you can swing it, go TC all day.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
I had an 06 SS/SC

It was quick... looked good.. and sounded good (compared to all the ricer cobalts)

I didnt like the notchyness of the trans.. I didnt have any complaints with it "feeling cheap" Maybe because mine only had 5,000 miles on it.

other than that, I got 22mpg city and over 30 highway while trapping 106mph in the 1/4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKpRb_TXgA0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtKfjYu3Olk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVSnqWl3BEo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=730ZLyEcMKI

IMG_0035r.jpg

Tuner World

The tech kid!!
Mar 8, 2009
Hoffman Estates
tcs are a big heap of plastic... besides, with the tsunami japan is struggling to make new parts, so if it breaks, you are screwed. thats why i didn't go with it in the first place.

He's not talking about a Scion TC loll. He's talking about The Cobalt TC which stands for TurboCharged.

I've never really gotten a ride/drove a S/C but my cousin (Rebel on here) has the T/C one and I like it. It's a fun little car and gets amazing mileage. Quick too.

I'd forsure go with the T/C over the S/C if the price isn't an issue. Plus the tunes on the T/C's loosen the car up quite a bit

mr.gto

Deleted New Name
Jul 27, 2009
Well price is kinda an issue, i mean i dont wana go crazy.... ive been seeing t/c ones for like 16-17 grand.... granted i bet there worth it but im not gunna spend that much. I was looking no more than 12, my buddy just said 11 k for his 65 thousand mile 06 s/c one.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info