My 2012 Ford Focus Review

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Had my surgery a couple of weeks ago, and my mom came in to drive me to and from and rented a new 2012 Focus 5-door. Spent a day and a half driving around before the surgery.

The Good:
Good power for a little economy car, never really left me needing more power. But kind of ran out of breath when you really got up in the rev range, but had good mid-range grunt.
Great gas mileage, got 35+ mpg's poking around Palatine and Schaumburg area without a sweat.
Pretty comfortable, seats were well bolstered (verging on too much)
Neat looking dash that is very driver's oriented. Almost cockpit like, with the dash and center console wrapping around the driver.
Decent audio system and amenities for a rental.

The Bad:
With the 6-speed auto, it seemed like it was ALWAYS shifting. Before 10 mph it was shifting into 2nd, and never really locked-up first for any length of time. Would like to have seen a much taller 1st gear, or a 5-speed auto. It also seemed like the it was constantly slipping the clutch to smooth everything out, which was more disconcerting than anything.
There was too much hard plastic. At first the whole package looks good, but when you start to poke around more, the cost cutting starts to come out more.
At first glance the dash looks pretty neat, but after awhile gets a little overwhelming. There are buttons EVERYWHERE, and it was kind of difficult to just jump in and change the radio station.

Overall it was a pretty decent car, I would want to look at a more upscale model with a manual trans to really make a definite decision. Definitely the best Focus they've made thus far, and it's a lot more car than any Focus before. I also would like to go look at a similarly equipped Cruze to really see how good or bad the Focus is.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• P
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list