Well, I'm car-less.....

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
Sunday I was out cruising around on the beautiful day that it was, when I started hearing a fairly loud tapping noise coming from the motor. So, I immediately pulled off and popped the hood to listen. My initial reaction was a spun bearing...definitely what it sounded like. I wasn't real far from school, so I tried to get it home. 14 miles away from school my car completely died. So...called for a tow and had her towed back into town. At the dealer where they dropped her off I started her again and the noise was loud as fuck. :tear: Definitely rod knock.

The dealer tore into the motor today and confirmed, the car had spun a bearing which then lead to hardcore rod knock. This was all caused from when my LIM gasket went back in January. Too much coolant got mixed in with the oil, and like people told me in different threads made my internals a "ticking time bomb." Sucks....63k mile car blows up. I had never heard about this before. My mom's van LIM gasket went 20k miles ago, and it's still running perfect.

So, unless I can find a ride/car it doesn't look like I'm going to the dyno day this weekend. I'm waiting for GM to come look at it...because thank GOD it's still under full warranty. So it's looking like 2+ weeks with no car. :tear:

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Sunday I was out cruising around on the beautiful day that it was, when I started hearing a fairly loud tapping noise coming from the motor. So, I immediately pulled off and popped the hood to listen. My initial reaction was a spun bearing...definitely what it sounded like. I wasn't real far from school, so I tried to get it home. 14 miles away from school my car completely died. So...called for a tow and had her towed back into town. At the dealer where they dropped her off I started her again and the noise was loud as fuck. :tear: Definitely rod knock.

The dealer tore into the motor today and confirmed, the car had spun a bearing which then lead to hardcore rod knock. This was all caused from when my LIM gasket went back in January. Too much coolant got mixed in with the oil, and like people told me in different threads made my internals a "ticking time bomb." Sucks....63k mile car blows up. I had never heard about this before. My mom's van LIM gasket went 20k miles ago, and it's still running perfect.

So, unless I can find a ride/car it doesn't look like I'm going to the dyno day this weekend. I'm waiting for GM to come look at it...because thank GOD it's still under full warranty. So it's looking like 2+ weeks with no car. :tear:

This is why I use synthetic oil only. Coolant in dino oil is certain death.

Which engine do you have in there? Is yours the 3.8L?

I always thought that the 3.1 and 3.4s were more common to do that.

If it wasn't for the crappy intake gaskets used on those engines on some versions they would be darn bullet proof. At my school we have two 3.4s torn apart for that, and we get those at my work all the time.

Glad you have a warranty though. Good luck getting it all fixed!

Well the lower intake manifold gasket fails...however the upper intakes themselves are known to warp and cause leaks too. It's a win/win situation really:ugh:

The thing is though the updated gaskets are far superior to the ones that came in there and once you have them in there, you are golden. Unfortunately your engine was f'd before it could be saved.

Are they rebuilding or giving you a new short block?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
They have their own wonderful problems they are known for too. If only cars were built to last, not to break.

Honestly, I can't think of any engines ford has made in the past decade that are known for critical failures such as spun bearings.

the V-6 in the mid/late 90's mustangs and a few vans I know had some issues *Ironically also a 3.8 pushrod V-6* with blowing head gaskets, but not spinning bearings.

*I don't mean to turn this into a GM Vs Ford Debate, so don't post a stupid reply, just answer my question because I'm honestly curious*

but that fucking sucks Euro, does your insurance reimburse rentals at all?

Honestly, I can't think of any engines ford has made in the past decade that are known for critical failures such as spun bearings.

the V-6 in the mid/late 90's mustangs and a few vans I know had some issues *Ironically also a 3.8 pushrod V-6* with blowing head gaskets, but not spinning bearings.

*I don't mean to turn this into a GM Vs Ford Debate, so don't post a stupid reply, just answer my question because I'm honestly curious*

but that fucking sucks Euro, does your insurance reimburse rentals at all?

True true. I'm not saying one brand is better than another. I'm just saying no matter where you go you will have problems. But that does keep mechanics like me busy! :)

I worked as a driver at a Ford dealer about a year, and I saw tons of blown out spark plugs because of poorly designed spark plug holes in the cylinder heads on the 4.0 SOHC, the 4.6 and 5.4 SOHC engines.

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
The thing is though the updated gaskets are far superior to the ones that came in there and once you have them in there, you are golden. Unfortunately your engine was f'd before it could be saved.

Are they rebuilding or giving you a new short block?

Yeah and when I had the gasket done my mechanic who did it put in the updated gasket and new upper intake so it wouldn't happen again.

I'm not sure about what they're going to do. My guess is that they're waiting for GM to come out and inspect it(still under warranty) and then see what they want to do after. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow and see if there is anything new to report.

Yeah and when I had the gasket done my mechanic who did it put in the updated gasket and new upper intake so it wouldn't happen again.

I'm not sure about what they're going to do. My guess is that they're waiting for GM to come out and inspect it(still under warranty) and then see what they want to do after. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow and see if there is anything new to report.

Usually you can prevent the engine from going kaboom after an intake job by being very neat and clean with cleaning the gasket surfaces, and by changing the oil before starting the car, and then changing it again after driving it for a little while. Oil is cheap compared to an engine, but in your case you have a warranty.

We talked about these repairs in detail in class and if you are cleaning off the gasket surfaces with any kind of friction disc and metal gets down in the engine, that's what causes bearing failure shortly later.

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
Well, an update I guess. Motor is completely torn down, and the dealer where it's at found metal shavings in the oil pump, oil pan(duh), and "scoring" on the cam bearings(from said shavings?...possibly) so instead of them being cheap asses and rebuilding my motor...and risking another possible failure like this, they talked with GM about putting in a whole NEW engine. GM approved 100%, will cover everything.

Badass, I'll get a brand new long block for the price of fluids(warranty doesn't cover), and my $100 deductible.

Bad thing is, that my car won't be done til mid next week. So 2.5 weeks without my car, I'm starting to forget what she looks like!....aaannnd,

In the meantime, I'm pimpin a Gold, 99 GP SE sedan with 134k miles, cigarette smoke scented custom tan cloth interior, aerodynamic lower rocker rust holes for weight reduction and extra performance, and 160hp of 3100 V6 fury. Talk about a bitchin dealer loaner car eh? :jerkit: :s00ls:

Mickey

Look at those low rates!
Feb 13, 2008
Normal, IL
Real Name
Mickey Cole
In the meantime, I'm pimpin a Gold, 99 GP SE sedan with 134k miles, cigarette smoke scented custom tan cloth interior, aerodynamic lower rocker rust holes for weight reduction and extra performance, and 160hp of 3100 V6 fury. Talk about a bitchin dealer loaner car eh? :jerkit: :s00ls:

Some dealers loan out the crappiest cars. Wouldn't you want to give your customers a nice new car in the hopes that they might buy one? All that aside, I'm glad you're getting your car fixed and good thing you kept it stock otherwise bye bye warranty.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info