Bridgestone Blizzak

AjL227

Do You Even?
Feb 19, 2008
I've been thinking real soon on pulling the trigger on a set of Bridgestone Blizzak's for my winter wheels. TireRack has the WS70's for $550 a set, and the LM-32 RFT's for ~$800, however the LM-32 run flats will not be in stock until November 18th.

Does anyone who runs or have ran winter tires in the Chicago winters, have any input on why they prefer winter tires over a good set of all season tires? Has anyone ran WS70's or LM-32's on their own vehicle? What did you think about one or the other? Do you think it is worth the extra cash for run flats? Which do you prefer? Discuss.

KagA152

Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Columbus, IN
when I commuted from Rockford to Woodstock on back roads, I had a set of yokohamas (dont remember the model) on my gtp and it was soooooooo nice compared to all seasons. i could try to pitch the car sideways and the back end would step out a little bit and then grab, almost took the fun out of driving in the snow

DarkShadow

o.O
TCG Premium
Aug 1, 2007
Berkeley, IL
I've been thinking real soon on pulling the trigger on a set of Bridgestone Blizzak's for my winter wheels. TireRack has the WS70's for $550 a set, and the LM-32 RFT's for ~$800, however the LM-32 run flats will not be in stock until November 18th.

Does anyone who runs or have ran winter tires in the Chicago winters, have any input on why they prefer winter tires over a good set of all season tires? Has anyone ran WS70's or LM-32's on their own vehicle? What did you think about one or the other? Do you think it is worth the extra cash for run flats? Which do you prefer? Discuss.

What tire size are you going to run with them?

honest to god these are the best tires in the winter bar none nokian wrg2. Also they have just released a new tire. my father works at suburban tire and in the winter and thats all he sell because people with bmw. bens you name it thats all he recommends that they put on in the winter. Nokian test track for the tires is 15 notical miles away from the arctic circle. Here is a link to there web site http://www.nokiantires.com/

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
honest to god these are the best tires in the winter bar none nokian wrg2 and they have just relesed new tire. my father works at suburban tire and in the winter thats all he sell because people with bmw. bens you name any high end dealer and thats what they put on in the winter. there test track for the tires is 15 notical miles away from the artic circule so you know the tires are good. and one last fact they uses the tires that i said on ice lake race cars thats how good of a tire it is just saying they are the best. and they make truck and car tires. here is a link to there web site http://www.nokiantires.com/

what. the. fuck. did. you. just. say?

ran blizzak ws-70s on my camaro and my trans am. i drove the trans am every day from home to work and from home to the gym and wherever else i had to go all last winter thru the massive blizzard (the 2 footer blizzard), the ice storms in the midwest (drove from here to kentucky to meet up with my brother and back in the heaviest part of the storm) without any traction control or extra weight in the back.
i drove on them in the camaro in the blizzard out in west virginia 3 years ago as well. those mountain roads get slippery and people slam on their brakes for no reason. blizzaks definitely saved my life on that trip but i won't get into the grimy details of what happened.

i wouldn't hesitate to run the blizzaks on ANY car.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
I've had a few different brands of winter tires: Blizzaks, Hankook Icebears, Michelin Alpin, and General ArcticMax. Each have their own highlights and deficiencies... All are much better than an all-season once you are on snow and ice, though. They also tend to be a bit more squirmy on dry pavement, though some of the winter tires are designed to be more stable at high speeds and in the dry at the expense of ultimate snow/ice grip. So while one particular winter tire might be good for one driver, it's not necessarily the best choice for another driver.

For me personally, with how quickly the snow gets removed from the roads around here, a "performance" snow tire is a good choice. Most of our driving in the winter is on clear roads. If I lived in Michigan or further north, though, one of the multi-cell compound tires with better snow grip would be the right choice.

So you have to determine which features are more important to you, and go from there. Happy shopping!

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
honest to god these are the best tires in the winter bar none nokian wrg2. Also they have just released a new tire. my father works at suburban tire and in the winter and thats all he sell because people with bmw. bens you name it thats all he recommends that they put on in the winter. Nokian test track for the tires is 15 notical miles away from the arctic circle. Here is a link to there web site http://www.nokiantires.com/

those are actually nokians all seasons, they are just (as far as i know) still the only all season also rated for snow. they are basically sold as snow tires that will last a long time in the states. you can go up to the other lines, but they are harder to find - i paid a poopy ton and got some hakka rsi tires for my sti. many ice racers prefer nokian. unfortunately tirerack doesn't sell them, so you never get to see nice empirical evidence like they create in their tests.

as far as the original question, i think it's better to get winters and i would avoid entry level ones. i got a deal on wheels/tires last year but it was the first year that i was buying winters used and not of my own choice, and i'm not all that pleased with the entry level set i got. TR should have tests for the tires you are looking at so you can evaluate price/performance.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Got blizzaks for my maxima 2 years ago for like 250 bucks slightly used off of a prius. Running a 195 in the winter and I was able to easily get in and out of our unplowed alleys, through the city streets since they didn't plow a lot in our area. For me they were a godsend as parallel parking in that type of snow was way easier.

For the burbs it would just be something nice to have, I made it through a lot of winters on nearly bald tires but these things are amazing no doubt. Kind of makes me sad that I can't screw around in the snow though with the ebrake nearly as much.

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
I've had a few different brands of winter tires: Blizzaks, Hankook Icebears, Michelin Alpin, and General ArcticMax. Each have their own highlights and deficiencies... All are much better than an all-season once you are on snow and ice, though. They also tend to be a bit more squirmy on dry pavement, though some of the winter tires are designed to be more stable at high speeds and in the dry at the expense of ultimate snow/ice grip. So while one particular winter tire might be good for one driver, it's not necessarily the best choice for another driver.

For me personally, with how quickly the snow gets removed from the roads around here, a "performance" snow tire is a good choice. Most of our driving in the winter is on clear roads. If I lived in Michigan or further north, though, one of the multi-cell compound tires with better snow grip would be the right choice.

So you have to determine which features are more important to you, and go from there. Happy shopping!

yeah. roads in the city don't get plowed. neither does my street. neither does my route to work for the most part. last year it was just me and the plows pretty much every night when i drove home from work during the blizzard.

What store cause my father still works at suburban and he can cut a deal if you need some tires

i may utilize this discount. 30%. i've been throwing around the idea of studded tires.

i drive roughly 10-15k a winter though. lots of trips from here to NC, ohio, wisconsin, vacation, etc etc.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info