Getting a bike soon...

KAR

Rip Riski
Jan 4, 2010
Elk Grove
Like he said, you'll get bored. My first bike is the one you see in my sig, it's a 1200 but comparable to a 1000. I just took it easy the first few months. Took it to the strip to get use to the power better and in a safer environment. First time at the track I was only running low 12's with like a 2.1 60ft :rofl: Now that I'm use to the bike I'm in the 10's with 1.5-1.6 60fts but it's been two years of riding for me now.

Hubbard 0

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
If you think you can control yourself, get what you want. I started on an 07 R1, I really wouldn't recommend it unless you have some substantial experience on 2 wheels else where. I spent some good time on a dirtbike, and not just cruising in a neighborhood, but ragging on it in the trails, experiencing the front wash out, experiencing the rear slide everywhere.

You know how you see those videos of people getting on a bike and they take off like a rocket, swerve, and hit a tree or parked car? That's because they don't realize that even on a 600, a twist of only a few degrees on the throttle will instantly bring the bike to RPMs that most cars don't even go to.

Respect it, don't show boat, learn slow and with people that know what they're doing. If you're going to ride with people that have crashed multiple times and they're the same ones saying that you'll be fine on a 1000, I wouldn't call them friends. A 1000 makes so much power it's absolutely overkill 99% of the time. If it doesn't scare you then it's going to bite your head off. Hope that helps.

bluegpgtp

Regular
Jan 22, 2008
Bourbonnais, IL
Real Name
Doug
Here is my .02 cents.... If you are saying that "you will be fine with a liter bike" I would really like to hear where you are coming from... Did you personally go buy a 1000 cc bike with little to no riding eperience? Personally I think a new rider getting an R1 is an awful idea. I think the newer 600s are a lot of bike for a new rider. I have a modded FZ1 (step below an R1) and I would NOT let a novice rider ride it. A lot of the new 600's can dip well into the 10's with basic mods and a good rider.

I will also second the MSF course for inexperienced riders. It may make you think about some things you never thought about before.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Back in '05 I bought a new Kawi 636 as my first bike. The only experience I had before that was about 6 years prior on a dirt bike for 5 mins. NOT experience at all. But that was PLENTY of enough for years to come. Then eventually I stopped riding (although I've been thinking about getting back on).

But a 600 is plenty of enough for a beginner and even more experienced riders. I've ridden for years and never got bored of the bike.

XxApollynxX

TCG Elite Member
Jun 2, 2008
Plainfield
It's all in self control and what you want I wish I bought a liter bike right off the bat and saved my self the hassle. Shit the guy I sold the Busa to never been on a motorcycle and buy a Hayabusa for his 1st bike he took a safety course took it easy and since he has owned it (about year and a half) he has put over 14,XXX miles on it already but he took it really slow/easy at first!

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
Why do you want it lowered? I'm also 5'8 and had my bike lowered. The only advantage was that I could move it around very easily if I was on a hill. The downfall was that I had my foot bent backwards at 80mph+ and I would have to pick up my feet when I was going all out on the curves.. I would end up scraping the footpegs. I would also scrape if I made tight, slow turns.
Oh yeah and my tire was very close to under my seat. If I had a passenger it would rub the tire on bumps or dips.Eventually burned a hole under the seat so I had to replace that.
I raised my bike up since and I am much happier.

Hubbard 0

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Im for sure taking a MSF course.....and yeah i decided to start on a lowered r6 even tho te r1 is just so damn sexy haha the dual undertails and front end are awesome but it will have to wait I plan on getting comfortable on this and one day moving to a lowered stretched r1

So you want to get a bike just to look cool?

Lowering and stretching ruins everything good about a motorcycle. And please don't stretch a 600. I see that shit at Luke's all the time and it brings tears to my eyes from the laughter. Like a 600 is hard to keep down or something.

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora

Lowering and stretching ruins everything good about a motorcycle. And please don't stretch a 600. I see that shit at Luke's all the time and it brings tears to my eyes from the laughter. Like a 600 is hard to keep down or something.

You ever been around Aurora? Every time I drive down the street or look out the window, I see black guys with a chromed out, stretched busa. And they do it just to look cool and probably have no idea how to race.
If you are going to race your 600 at the track, I would just get a strap fo it and use it for the track only. Should have no problem keeping the front down.

XxApollynxX

TCG Elite Member
Jun 2, 2008
Plainfield

I guess my motorcycle is ruined :( it's stretched and slammed :tear:

tmbutitta

TCG Elite Member
Feb 16, 2010
Rockford
i have had 2 600's.

for me, there was never a need to have a 1000. A 600 is plenty of fun, and gets the job done for most people who just want to enjoy the feel of a bike, save on gas, and just cruise on it.

if you have plans to keep it for a few years, and want to race it- then you will probably want to get something bigger. you will just need some serious self control during the first year getting comfortable.

and to me if you like the look of a stretched and slammed bike, then do it. to each their own.

KAR

Rip Riski
Jan 4, 2010
Elk Grove
What I actually find funny is that a car can out handle a bike in turns. Now if you're talking about weaving in and out of tight places like in traffic then yeah a bike is better but on a road course, cars can take corners at a faster speed and hold the speed better through a turn. But I will say it sure is fun leaning, I actually wish I could lean more and might actually shorten up my stretch and raise it back up a little.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info