Trading in a car

how does this work? ive never been quiet sure how it all goes down. ive always bought cars outright but this is my first car i financed and own/owe a little bit left on.

say im looking to trade my car in, i owe 8k left and they offer me say 15k.

so i have basically 7k as a down payment? do i need to make a downpayment on the new car that i was looking at, at the dealer? or would my trade in left over basically be my down payment on the car?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
ok. thats what i was calculating in my head ... and kinda asked in OP.

seems fair enough.

2 other items to take into consideration here:

1: Taxes, You will be paying tax for only the 'balance owed' on the car, so if you want a 18K car, and you put 11K down as 'trade-in', you will only be paying tax for 7K of the new car.

2: Title/Registration/BS Fees, Keep in mind when haggling with them that there is the "Out the door price" and there is the "Cars price". Usually you can get them to wave the BS fees along with lower the price of the car when haggling etc.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
9mpg in a truck, and it's no fun to drive, or 16mpg in a car which is tons more fun. Not a bad idea at all, just gotta keep in mind, the STI sucks (evo owner, must talk shit).

I get 17 mixed driving with my 'beater' daily driver which has no car payment and a 5 speed which makes it fun to drive and prevents me from getting a million speeding tickets.

I'd strongly advise looking for a little 5 speed Eco box that you can afford to buy out right so you can keep the TB IMO. I know Jared had a bad experience going that route, but that doesn't automatically mean you will as well.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I get 17 mixed driving with my 'beater' daily driver which has no car payment and a 5 speed which makes it fun to drive and prevents me from getting a million speeding tickets.

I'd strongly advise looking for a little 5 speed Eco box that you can afford to buy out right so you can keep the TB IMO. I know Jared had a bad experience going that route, but that doesn't automatically mean you will as well.

:rofl: riiiiight, we'll jump right on that advice. :io:

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
2 other items to take into consideration here:

1: Taxes, You will be paying tax for only the 'balance owed' on the car, so if you want a 18K car, and you put 11K down as 'trade-in', you will only be paying tax for 7K of the new car.

2: Title/Registration/BS Fees, Keep in mind when haggling with them that there is the "Out the door price" and there is the "Cars price". Usually you can get them to wave the BS fees along with lower the price of the car when haggling etc.

This. TRP will be $195 and tax will be 7.25%-8.25% of total of DIFFERENCE. Negotiations also factor. If you want pm me the car you are looking at and the VIN and MILEAGE of ur existing car. Ill put together a sample price breakdown.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
:rofl: riiiiight, we'll jump right on that advice. :io:

Just about any beater he could buy will get better MPG's than the TBSS... And again, just because one person had a bad experience doesn't mean he will. Crawlin works at a shop IIRC, so he probably has good cheap car deals come through (People who decide to just dump a car instead of fix it etc)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info