Dragstrip definitions

Malakaone

Addict
Feb 17, 2011
Yesterday at Portillos I was listening to several people talk and realized I did not comprehend a word they said for like 5 minutes. I wouldn't say I am a dumbass, but dragstrip terminology is interesting. Because of this I was hoping someone could fill me in on some of the typical terms used so I do not look at everyone crazy. Some terms that come to mind:

1. 2 and the hit

2. 3 and the hit

3. Slipping the clutch - sounds like it means holding the clutch in while giving the vehicle gas and moving in the forward direction with traction.

4. Trap - speed at the end of the 1/4 mph

5. 60' - entails reaction time and time that the car has traveled by 60'. What is a good time though

Feel free to add more. I know much more about road courses than dragstrips, but always willing to learn. You never know what the next toy will be.

KAR

Rip Riski
Jan 4, 2010
Elk Grove
2,3,4,5ect means car lengths they are getting/giving to the other person.

The hit means the person that gets the hit gets to leave(launch) first and the other person can't leave till the one with hit leaves.

Slipping the clutch not exactly sure but I'm going with they can't leave full throttle thus not pulling a good 60 foot.

60 foot is just that 60 foot. Reaction time is solely reaction time to the light turning green. A good 60 foot all depends on if it's a car or bike. But we'll go with 1.5 being a general great 60foot

Trap is what speed aka mph they go through the lights at the end of the quarter mile.

RossiGTP

Young Gun
Oct 23, 2008
Portage
Real Name
Cody Rossi
# and the hit means how many car lengths you give/or get and the hit means you get to leave first.

For example. Someones faster then you so they say "I'll give you 2 and the hit." You get 2 car lengths ahead and you take off first or as soon as you start moving forward the other car gets to go.

* Edit * Damn to slow on response

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
The numbers on the actual paper slip measure time from 0 distance to 60 ft, 1000ft, 1/8th mile and 1/4 mile. It will also tell you your MPH at 1/8th mile and 1/4 mile. I don't know how the slips work on days like RSDs where you can spot people out etc. 95% of days at the drag strip consist of 2 cars going head to head with the lights, no spotting out or anything like that.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
'out of the hole' - referring to the launch of the car or 60 foot times.
'down low' - my Truck used to have all it's power and speed down low, so it would rip out of the hole, but it fell on it's face uptop/on the back half
'up top'/'back half' - usually refers to how fast a car goes from the 1/8th to the 1/4th.

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
Makes sense. So with a hit the reaction time also does not matter?

What about the various numbers on a slip, what do they all mean?

reaction time matters when you are racing in a sanctioned event like bracket racing where you 'dial in' or set your estimated e/t and you have to get as close to it as possible without going faster. reaction time is factored into the scoring as well. if two cars were to be just as close as to their dial in as each other...the one with the lower reaction time gets the win.

slipping the clutch is exactly what it sounds like.

you are slipping the clutch against the flywheel

think of how on a hill you let up on the clutch and feather the throttle a little bit to keep the car from going backwards

its the same idea...

you don't want to launch by revvin to the moon and dumping the clutch. you will just roast the tires...
alternatively you don't want to launch by dumping the clutch at idle as that will just cause you to bog down.

you want to find the happy medium...thats what slippin the clutch is all aboot.

a little bit of wheelspin is usually a good thing...1 or 2 revolutions to minimize drivetrain stress and then you are off.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info