Bought a bike

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
Picked up a new toy, got a '94 Yamaha FZR 600R off a friend of mine. Bike has been barely ridden and garage kept since new. 7k original miles. Traded an AR15 for it so my cost was ~$800

IMAG0028.jpg

KAR

Rip Riski
Jan 4, 2010
Elk Grove
Truethfully your best bet is to find a yamaha specific forum and search away on there or ask. They'll be able to tell you what aftermarket swing arms fit the best and which rim will fit, if other bike's swing arms will fit on yours, offset spacing with the wider rim for the chain to stay in line. You'll need a longer brake cable. Misc shit I'm forgetting about.

But to be honest I wouldn't stretch a 600 and if I did it would only be like 3 inches at most. There's really no need for it as the only way you'd be doing a wheelie is off the line or massive re-gearing on the front and rear sprockets as the 600's barely have enough torque to power wheelie in first gear and cruising at speed you'd have to do some major clutch slipping to pull the front tire. But to each there own. The info is out there just gotta do a little searching.

Edit- just thought about it or is this swing arm in search for a better looking bike to yourself? Or performance?

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
Just enjoy the bike as it is. It will power wheelie easily in 1st gear, especially if it's regeared (mine was -1 front, which is equal to +3 rear) and you can clutch it up in 2nd, however the bike is severely underpowered. You will only be ridiculed if you put a swingarm on that bike and there is no reason to.

As far as putting a wider tire on it, keep in mind that the engineers put that size tire on there for a reason. A bike is not like a car, wider is not better. You go changing tire width and you mess up the handling characteristics. Stock is 160, the next size up is 170. I put a 170 Battlax BT56 on mine and it didn't handle as well, and stepping up to a 180 is out of the question.

Like I said, just ride the bike and enjoy it. If you want some thing more cosmetically pleasing, get a newer bike. The FZR 600 was always kinda like the red-headed step child of the entry-level sport bikes. They were always a step behind the others, and didn't have nearly the amount of aftermarket parts available to it as compared to the CBR, GSXR, or Ninja 600's.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info