Switching to E85 Questions

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
When INITIALLY switchinh from Gas to E85, what all did you have to take into consideration?

My fuel system is:
Returnless Rails at like 58-68PSI
255LPH Walbro pump
42lb Injectors (On Order)
(For those that don't know, Its a SBF with 8PSI on a roots blower)

Any other items I need that are key to switching?

Do I need to completely drain my tank or can I just run it until its extremely low and then tank it with E85 and then switch tunes (Or should I run it on my 93 Oct tune for a day or 2 before switching to ensure the fuel in the system is like 99% E85), or is that not safe/recommended? I have a hand-held tuner essentially that will let me change my settings etc, and I will get it professionally tuned shortly after switching to E85, but want to make sure everything is 100% before I bring it to a tuner.

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
When I switch to my 100 octane tune I usually let it get as close to empty as I can and let it idle for a min before switching tunes. I don't think you should have to drain the tank completely, but then again I never used E85. I can't recall anyone I know on here having to do that.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Running E85 on a pump gas tune will make it run very lean. You need to adjust the injectors at a minimum when switching, run through 2-3 tanks, then get it actually tuned. Unless of course you can actually drain EVERYTHING out of the tank like Evo guys do.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Running E85 on a pump gas tune will make it run very lean. You need to adjust the injectors at a minimum when switching, run through 2-3 tanks, then get it actually tuned. Unless of course you can actually drain EVERYTHING out of the tank like Evo guys do.

So it SHOULD be safe to switch to an E85 tune with my 42lb injectors with a bit of gas still in the tank essentially. Drive with my hand-helds canned E85/42lb tune for at least 2 tanks, and then bring it to my tuner it sounds like is what you'd suggest?

does the ranger have a fpdm like mustangs?

I just googled that, not sure how its setup to be honest...

My truck has an little vacuum hose connected bell (FPR I assume) on the rail as well as a separate system in the fuel tank itself that keeps tabs on the pressure its pushing to ensure its holding 60PSI+ There are like 5 wires that go into my fuel tank. I have no external module for fuel management from the factory.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Yea, that's what i do, and tell everyone i switch to E85 to do. Usually i run it low, fill up, and the fuel trims are only off by 6-7% tops. After 2 tanks they're dead on and ready to go. Running it on a pump gas tune trying to switch to E85 will make it run too lean. Just stay out of the throttle until it's ALL E85 and tuned.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Is that enough injector for a blown V8?

I'm running 30lber's right now on 8PSI and my wide-band is reading 12.2-12.5 on my first couple of pulls on my first crack at my ghetto tune. I've adjusted it to add a spec more fuel and will re-load the tune tonight. Anything bigger than 42's would really require me upgrading my fuel system again, it becomes a slippery slope. E85 requires like 30% more fuel than Gas IIRC, a 42lb injector should be about inline with that.

I may be blown, but I'm not aiming to make crazy power, and its only 8PSI.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
dont you need to change the rubber o- rings in the fuel system for E85 compatible ones?

I was curious about this too, Which ones would need to be changed, and how can you tell if they don't already support it? Ford sold FFV 3.0 V-6 rangers since 98 IIRC, I can't imagine they would be cheap enough to use different o-rings for different models of ranger...?

Boostie

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
I could have swarn that you need to verify that your fuel pump is compatable for e85 and then that each component of the lines/injectors/ect will not gum up or go bad running the different fuel. I cant remember the exact specifics though on what you need to avoid having running e85. Something to do with e85 not being a petrolium or something can cause issues with certain materials IIRC.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I could have swarn that you need to verify that your fuel pump is compatable for e85 and then that each component of the lines/injectors/ect will not gum up or go bad running the different fuel. I cant remember the exact specifics though on what you need to avoid having running e85. Something to do with e85 not being a petrolium or something can cause issues with certain materials IIRC.

The pump I've been told should be fine (Walbro 255), and I've never heard issues of injectors being compatible with E85 in regards to them having issues with certain materials, just that you need far more injector when running E85.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
yeah ill have to ask my buddy or if redevo58 chimes in on here he knows.

i know theres are certian o-rings that need to be correct. it may be the injector o-rings.

E85 is more corrossive and will ruin rubber quick i guess.

If its just the injector O-rings that's a "Whatever" Kinda thing since I can do that when I change out the injectors.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info