Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
i swear to christ it looks identical to this only w/ glass windows :bowrofl::bowrofl:

grandcoupel.jpg

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
The Smart is completely pointless as is, except for the "look at me" factor and maybe for city folk. A gasoline civic gets just as good mileage as the Smart, and the Civic's door didn't fly open during the NHTSA's side crash test.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
The car did fine in front crash tests, but in side crash tests the door flung open, earning it a "Safety Concern" from NHTSA. I have more faith in IIHS tests, but a door flying open in any test is not good.

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
their problem is that the chassis doesn't absorb ANY energy.

The cabin is meant to be as rigid as possible, meaning forces are transferred to the passengers inside rather than being absorbed as bending stress within the unibody as other cars would.

The brit's test above shows that the cabin is strong, but there is no test dummy, no sensory to determine impulse on the driver, pretty bunk test if you ask me. Put a dummy in both cars and I'd guarantee you see HALF the crash impulse on the other car versus the smart. Impulse is that fun force that dashes your organs against your ribcage, and knocks your brain around against your skull...it's the shit that kills people.

Sure, your limbs might be in tact after a crash in a smart car, but you're going to be dead from internal injuries. I'll take a broken leg, arm, or pelvis over brain damage or dying from internal bleeding.

Not so smart after all.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Nobody gives a shit about crash tests so why is it a big deal? Like anyone on here even gave it a second thought when purchasing their car.
It passed stringent standards to be sold and driven on U.S. public roads so whatever.

Seriously?

Most consumers are, in fact, concerned about safety when car shopping. The gov't NHTSA still gave the Smart car a 5-star side impact crash test rating even though the freakin' door opened after [Edit: During] the crash and it was issued a safety concern. WTF?

That's why the Government ratings are pretty much considered a joke and most of the industry relies on IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) ratings.

As for the enthusiast, I'm sure most aren't concerned about safety ratings, but for the family buying a sedan or minivan, they are most definitely interested.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info