Honda odyssey axle replacement

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Wifey's odyssey lost the drivers side inside cv joint. Or perhaps I assume this because it blew grease all over the trans right there.

The van developed a BAD shake, almost like a tire had slipped a belt or something. When it first started shaking I suspected the brakes so I did front brakes, the thing stops much smoother than before, but the shake was still there a bit.

She continued driving it until last Friday when we drove in it together... And HOLY HELL the shake got way worse. Like it shook so bad that at 50mph the change in the cup holders would rattle and drinks in the dash would jump around. :eek4:

So I put it in the air sat am and rotated the tires - still thinking possible belt slip that I couldn't visually see. Before putting it all back together I checked tie rods and ball joints, both seemed fine. Then I saw the grease from the drivers side boot and figured that had to be it... Ended up having to wait to order the replacement axle until after the holiday weekend.

Never done an axle on a honda... I assume its very much like axles on a gtp? Can anyone confirm this?

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I've done axles on a civic and a crx and it was the same deal as a Gp. Id assume an odyssey would be the same or similar. Just pop it out.

Only other way I've seen an axle held in place is with a roll pin.

It may or may not leak trans fluid when you pull it out so keep that in mind. The focus poured all over the place but my Subaru didn't. :dunno:

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
That seems to be the norm these days I think which sucks for the DIY people.

When I had to change out the other axle on the focus I got it way up in the air on that side and barely any came out.

The first time I dumped like 3 quarts on the ground because I wasn't expecting it :roflpicard:

CrawlinTBSS

Detailer
Jul 8, 2007
Naperville, IL
i can check alldata when i get in for you. what year car?

should be fairly simple. pop off wheel, probably remover lower shock mount to knuckle, remove tierod, tip it down and slide the spline end out and slide it out of the trans. ill double check for you and post in like 30.

i did an axle yesterday on a volvo and had like you described. bad vibration while driving. i could tell ti was the axles cuase the vib would settle down if i was coasting and not on the gas. customer bought control arms and wheel hubs thinking it was that. axle just broke at the middle cv.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
i can check alldata when i get in for you. what year car?

should be fairly simple. pop off wheel, probably remover lower shock mount to knuckle, remove tierod, tip it down and slide the spline end out and slide it out of the trans. ill double check for you and post in like 30.

i did an axle yesterday on a volvo and had like you described. bad vibration while driving. i could tell ti was the axles cuase the vib would settle down if i was coasting and not on the gas. customer bought control arms and wheel hubs thinking it was that. axle just broke at the middle cv.

And yea, thats EXACTLY what the van is doing... coasting its nearly non-existent but when you get on the gas at all it shakes like a SOB. I told her its parked until the axle gets replaced because seriously... it shakes so bad I was scared to drive it at all for fear of like cracking the trans case. :ugh:

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Isn't is scary how far women will drive a car acting like that? Drove somebodys car that pulled so hard to the left you had to wrestle with the wheel just to drive straight.

As far as the axle it shouldn't be that bad just make sure you don't tweak the seal if it has one as those are a pain ( at least in my limited fwd experience)

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
All of the civics I've worked on (89-2000) have had 'non servicable automatics' where there is no pan/filter to drop. I suspect maybe the van is the same? All of the honda axles I worked with just popped out with a gentle nudge from a pry bar.

All I have that's useful input though is to stay the fuck away from cheap replacements, and spring for a good reman, or an OEM axle, and not a 'new' one from Napa etc. I snapped the SHIT out of a Napa axle on my 95 civic that was only making like 150hp.....

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I got a Autozone axle with a lifetime warranty. It was literally 1/4 the price of the dealer axle, which has no warranty at all. If it gives me issues, I'll look into something else. I've had good luck with AZ's axles in the past. :dunno:

This thing is totally a grocery getting mobile. It's not driven hard at all. I'm not too concerned about the axle snapping.

... completely scary what she was just driving with. She insisted that it got worse that day... right on the way home... but hadn't told me anything about it until I was driving everyone in the car that evening. :hsugh:

from what i read

remove wheel
remove axle nut
remove stabilizer link( one of the end will be fine),
then either remove the lower mounts of the shock to knuckle if that will give you freeplay to pull it towards you or remove the lower balljoint mount to tip the bottom out,
remove tierods,
slide axles out of the hub and it just slide out the trans.

for filling, that plug you saw is correct. it will have a small gasket. should be able to reuse. it has a mini dipstick on the end of the plug.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info