what kind of Compromises do you make for your hobby?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Cliffs:
I have some debt (not really a huge amount)
I broke my play car
I have a daily driver
I want my play car back again
what kind of compromises do you all make?

As many/most of you know, I blew the diff out of my freshly motor-swapped civic hatch, I will have to drop the trans, and replace the diff, and while its all apart again, I NEED to go ahead and replace my upper and lower front control arms, and every single bushing related to them, as well as my blown out struts (about $300 total for all the suspension/bushings, $300 for new struts/springs, $50-300 for the diff)

Honestly, the car is a fucking BLAST, and I rather drive that car to work than my 07 focus because its just that much more fun.

Now here's the question though:

I have debt *yea yea, it sucks* just shy of $3000 (Bummer) thats just added up over time from moving, helping Kim pay her bills, etc etc etc.

I WANT to fix my fucking car, and I WANT to pay off my debt.

What kinda compromises do you guys make as far as money toward debt, money toward car, cause lets face it, I can't just let my car sit out all summer while I pay off my debt.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Sacrifices....not doing anything to my car because its my DD and I don't want it breaking down! I have an itch to just blow a bunch of money, go to a junkyard, find a wrecked taurus/ escape grab the V6 and pop it in, or buy a turbo kit, etc etc. Fact of the matter is, if I don't have a car i pretty much i'll fail college.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
i have zero car debt at this time, only money i owe is to pay for tv and random credit card bills here and there, no debt problems really anymore. having the same car for 4 years pays off i guess in the end

Since I live on my own, I only have so much 'disposable' income.

Here's the numbers honestly:

$3000 in credit card debt

Civic needs about $1000 in repairs.

maybe $700 a month in 'disposable' income if I don't take Kim out, I don't buy ANYTHING I don't 100% need, and I pay the minimum balance's on my credit cards (maybe $80 total?)

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I dont have any dept, but I dont have any credit either :(

Its nice that I'm building my credit *when I bought my car, I had a score of 600, now a year and 3 months later, even with 3K of debt, my score has gone up to 650 because I make everything on time, another year I hope to be paid off, and have my score up to 720-750 *which is about average for most adults in the US, and I'll only be 21(edit due to me being a tard)*

Last edited:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
dont pay just the minimums... thats bad and ull never pay it off..

only compromise ive had to make is no motorcycle for at least a month or 2. i need to see what happens with taxes and shit. then i can play

I don't pay just the minimums, I usually pay several times the minimum if not more, I was just laying out the numbers in case anyone had any recommendations.

qwik01cobra

built,novi2k,t56,solid
Nov 15, 2005
dont over extend yourself for a car. If you have a daily leave the civ parked til you can honestly afford it without jeopordizing any of your other bills or expenses. Trust me I have been there and it will be just your luck that you'll over extend yourself to fix your civ and something more critical will come up and you wont be able to handle it and thats a shitty ass feeling

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
everything revolves around my obsession, tools to parts lol, i just recently blew over 500$ on tooling for machining 3800 heads for direct port fogger nozzles...i have lots of material wealth...steel, iron and aluminum lol
Al spends every dime he can scrape up for the 442 even the side jobs pay for it...the rest covers the bills. probably getting close to 10k into the 442.
the ciera and van are going to the crusher so al's spending $ on a new DD instead of the 442 but thats the biggest compromise he's made in a long time lol
Eric is like me...he's got at least 15k into the new build for the Riv...he figured he's got 25-28k into the car just in mods/parts from prev builds...he needs to sell his old VS cam etc to recoupe alot of it.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
My hobbies are compromised for my life. I have no debt other than student loans.
I live in my own house.
Work 30-40 hrs a week.
Taking 17 credit hours at UIC.
Volunteer work with youth twice a week.
G/F.
And a college aged church group.

I have no time or money right now for my hobbies... :(

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I'm riddled with the usual post-college student debt, as well as credit card payments and miscellaneous bills I pick up at the house.

It doesn't hold me back from doing what I want with the car, though, or keep me from having a good time on the weekends. Well, to a degree, anyways.

I've promised myself not to rent when I move out, as I'd like to buy a condo or townhouse and not waste money with renting. So the only thing keeping me from going balls out with the car or selling it and buying a 05-06 GTO is that down payment I need to buy a condo or townhouse.

It's really, really hard to hold back, though. Especially when the car is running like shit and there's a mint 2005 GTO 6-speed with 11,000 miles around the corner at Village Pontiac.

...sigh

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info