Cam Break-In?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Recently swapped out my Cam, Rockers, Lifters, Valve springs, Retainers with aftermarket affair. I've given it the beans a few times after getting it put back together to ensure nothing was going to shake loose etc, and will change the oil next week after getting my exhaust fixed and putting some miles on it.

So my questions are:

Do I need to re-torque pedestal mount rockers after a while to ensure they are still snug, or should they be fine from the initial install?

Any reason to not beat it like a red-headed stepchild after the 'first' oil change? (We emptied the oil out when we did all the work, replaced my oil pan gasket, etc, etc, etc, so it has fresh oil now, and as mentioned already, going to change it again next week)

I'd like to make it out to the CMC track day on the 10th to see what she can do with my base-line ghetto tune, but don't want to risk damaging anything if that's too soon?

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Assuming that you torqued them down correctly the first go around(torqueing them when both valves are closed) I would just go over them real quick to verify they're still at the rating and be done with it. After my head swap I just drove the car like I would normally and lay into it sometimes.

Unless you blindly put the retainers on or can see that they're not seated properly, I wouldn't even worry about them. Once a retainer is set, it's set. It's not going to work itself loose if they were installed properly.

Honestly, I'd just run the piss out of it at the track.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I didn't trust myself to do this project alone so I enlisted the help of an ASE Master tech buddy of mine out in Mazon IL. Everything got seated perfectly, and torqued to spec with a torque wrench that's worth more than my engine, I was hoping it would essentially be a "So long as there isn't an immediate failure, and everything is setup correctly it should be fine" and it sounds like that's the case. I'll still put some miles on it (going to Starved Rock on Monday, maybe I'll take it up there and back to get the 120+ Mile journey on it instead of my explorer)

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
I didn't trust myself to do this project alone so I enlisted the help of an ASE Master tech buddy of mine out in Mazon IL. Everything got seated perfectly, and torqued to spec with a torque wrench that's worth more than my engine, I was hoping it would essentially be a "So long as there isn't an immediate failure, and everything is setup correctly it should be fine" and it sounds like that's the case. I'll still put some miles on it (going to Starved Rock on Monday, maybe I'll take it up there and back to get the 120+ Mile journey on it instead of my explorer)

That's eseentially what I was trying to say.

Have you put any mileage on it yet or no? If you have I wouldn't worry about it.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
lemme get a ride in that beast kthx

Going to Valasquez on Sat to get the exhaust fixed, and have them replace my damn valve cover gasket so it'll be 100% again. Marty is going to cut down my new pulley asap, and that will be that.

Going to fit the front bumper correctly tonight, and run my new E-fan wiring.

Other than those items, the only thing 'wrong' with the truck is my shift linkage is a bit Wonky (Everything is now one over to the right basically on the display...)

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
When you bringing this turd to the dyno?

After It gets Headers and a Tune, Either the very very very end of the season, or next year. Headers are going to be $800, and the tune will be lord knows how much...

I still have 'low expectations' at the moment. The OEM Headers are going to completely choke this truck along with the lack of a real tune so I feel it would be a waste of $ to dyno it now. I am hoping for a 13.2-13.4 next week *8PSI, Ghetto tune, 235 street tires, with my Cam*. My goal (low expectations again) is to run a 12.9 with a Headers/Tune/Tire, but that will happen as budget allows, I suspect it will have ALOT in it once I get everything sorted out. I am only aiming for 350WHP when its all said and done (Again, may get far higher, won't know until its all dialed in)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info