Remove rust stain from car paint?

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
I have had a rock chip on my passenger door that I didnt treat fast enough. It developed a small dot of rust on the exposed metal. Overtime the rust has created a stain about a half inch in diameter around the chip itself. I have a small fiberglass pen to remove the rust itself but are there any car paint safe solvents that will remove the stain?

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I have had a rock chip on my passenger door that I didnt treat fast enough. It developed a small dot of rust on the exposed metal. Overtime the rust has created a stain about a half inch in diameter around the chip itself. I have a small fiberglass pen to remove the rust itself but are there any car paint safe solvents that will remove the stain?

I am also in the same boat. Someone chipped the paint to the metal on my TransAm, and I didn't catch it because i don't drive it daily. Well, mine doesn't sound as bad as yours, but I definitely have some rust to take care of. :(

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
A claybar may work or you can try a paint cleanser. I have used Perfect Auto Finishes paint cleaner wax to remove light surface rust stains before.
I use IRON X all the time and it's perfect for embedded iron, but never used it on actual rust from the car.
When you go to fix it you may want to try this...
http://www.autogeek.net/dr-colorchip-paint-chip-repair.html
A lot of detailers swear by it and they mix the paint when you order and specifically for your car.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info