Something bad happened today:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
92 CX/96 Integra B18B1 motor, 95 B18B1 LS tranny:

Got beat on HEAVILY today, started making a slight on/off metal scraping sound, and making popping noises as we stopped driving it.

Drove it home tonight, and something is SERIOUSLY fucked up:

Lemme start off with things I know:
Clutch still grabs GREAT
Engine revs freely, and idles strong
I have no dust-shield on the car right now (Partially exposed flywheel, Stupid yes, but I can't fucking find one with hardware)
Car was leaking some oil while being beaten on, I know oil probably splashed up onto the clutch, but I can't imagine it would be causing this kind of problem since the clutch still engages/disengages perfectly fine and isn't slipping

Symptoms:
While under light/moderate/heavy load, it feels like something is binding on/off every few hundred feet while in 5th gear, and then lets go (Pops) and the engine has a split second of hesitation *almost like a slip*

so the car will be going perfectly straight, 55-60mph, and then every like 5 seconds the car gives a little tug to the right, then makes a pop sound, then lets go and keeps tracking straight just fine.

It does this in any gear with load, varying frequency depending upon gear/speed

Car IN gear, with NO load, it does not do this, I coasted at 60mph in 5th gear for maybe 20-30 seconds down an incline, and it didn't make any popping sounds.

While driving around at low-speeds, you can DEFIANTLY hear a metal rubbing/grinding noise (like a warped brake rotor rubbing the pads on/off/on/off squeak sound)

While TURNING under load, it Pops like CRAZY, with minor engine noise to match (Again, like slipping for a SPLIT second)

Earlier in the day I couldn't get under the car, and its too dark to do it now, so I'll take a look in the morning, but anyone have any idea what this might be? (I dunno why, but I think maybe my stock Diff ate the dust, or an axle is fucked some how?)

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
sounds like an axle, it also sounds like you have some other suspension problem, and the axle was holding it together before it popped.

I had 2 other suspension related issues today

#1: New wide tires, having fun chirping the upshift

#2: Most/all front suspension bushings are shot and in need of replacement

I hope and PRAY this is just an axle as I JUST bought the goddamned transmission a month ago, and have only been driving on it for a day.

Is there anything I should look FOR once the car is off the ground tomorrow?

The pulling occasionally comes from the other side as well, so could it be both axles? or just one is kinda flopping around possibly? *My car has a mid-shaft, and an axle on the driver side, just an axle on the passenger side*

Mickey

Look at those low rates!
Feb 13, 2008
Normal, IL
Real Name
Mickey Cole
i knew it.

Hmm. Knew it from the get go... I was going to tell you this a long time ago(in fact i may have mentioned it in your thread about how your car runs). The best way to destroy a differential is to let the diff unload on one side or the other. Just like you were doing while letting your car sit there and run in gear with one wheel on the ground. This applies to both front and rear wheel drive vehicles... Sorry to hear you smoked your diff... Time for an lsd :bigthumb:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Hmm. Knew it from the get go... I was going to tell you this a long time ago(in fact i may have mentioned it in your thread about how your car runs). The best way to destroy a differential is to let the diff unload on one side or the other. Just like you were doing while letting your car sit there and run in gear with one wheel on the ground. This applies to both front and rear wheel drive vehicles... Sorry to hear you smoked your diff... Time for an lsd :bigthumb:

I see what you mean, but it drove/ran PERFECT with abuse all this week, it wasn't until we put some wider/stickier meats on the car and abused it that it finally let go.

Have you ever replaced a Diff (if so, how hard is it to do)? I think for the moment I wanna just try to find a new OEM diff and install it once I drop the trans just cause I don't have the funds for an LSD right now :tear:. Any ideas on where to buy one new? Do they make stronger ones?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
one suggestion don't beat on the car until it is ready to be beat on ;) It may be fun but its only causing you more headaches right now

car was ready to be beat on honestly, its an OEM motor, with the correct OEM trans in it. All I own technically is a stock 96 acura Integra that weighs 5/600 lbs less than stock really. I guess the trans must have been beat on heavily prior to my ownership so the diff was already weak maybe :dunno:

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Yeah I thought diff right from the get go. Yeah if its both sides and all of a sudden lets go in any gear, that kinda rules out blowing a certain gear. Oh and wider tires = more strain on the trans and diff. You had those rubberband tires on before, and there was little strain because you could roast them all day and they never hooked up. This is a common problem on the CSVT, guys blow diffs all the time at the track launching and shifting hard. And I agree with the above comments, it sounds like its time for an LSD.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
car was ready to be beat on honestly, its an OEM motor, with the correct OEM trans in it. All I own technically is a stock 96 acura Integra that weighs 5/600 lbs less than stock really. I guess the trans must have been beat on heavily prior to my ownership so the diff was already weak maybe :dunno:

What Chico said kind of sums up probably what blew the diff. Having the car only on one wheel and spinning the other is bad news. Definitely a good way to blow out the one you have. Hey you live a little, you learn a little, luckily this is just a good excuse to upgrade a little.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
What Chico said kind of sums up probably what blew the diff. Having the car only on one wheel and spinning the other is bad news. Definitely a good way to blow out the one you have. Hey you live a little, you learn a little, luckily this is just a good excuse to upgrade a little.

I'm just lucky it made it home! :eek3:

I'm going to replace all the torn/destroyed suspension components up front before I do the Diff because I'm sure that also led it to an early grave.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I would just count my blessings that the weak link was the diff and not something worse, that would've required a new trans...

I'm not out of the woods on that one yet, I haven't opened up the transmission to see the damage, right now its just acting like it has a blown diff, and there are metal shavings so I assume/hope thats all it is. (Again, the car still shifts fine, so I'm like 99% certain the guts are fine, but I'm just being cautious. )

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Never gonna give you up... never gonna let you down... never gonna run around and hurt you!

I found that in someones sig on the LS1 Forums, when i was reading about the C6 Z06 vs. the new GTR. It was really weird because we were using that same Rick Astley song in my step aerobics class (no I'm not gay, I have to take the class to graduate as it's part of my major)

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
You're not helping me fix my transmission here... :squint:

Sorry its easy to get off on a tangent when Rick Astley comes to town....I would definitely refrain from driving the car if at all possible. You never know what kind of chunks are floating around in there, and it only takes one to send the transmission bye bye. Well I hope you got good at putting the trans and motor in, because I think you might get familiar with taking it out, and putting it back in...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info