Need some help/new car advice

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Let me start out with this...:picard:

So I have been scratching my head on this car still wondering if I should be concerned about any warranty info. The dealership disclosed that the car did have an existing warranty on the car and the window sticker said so. Also said that the car came this way from the factory.

The mods that I have been able to see are the Roush suspension package, Roush intake, 5.0 catch can, and exhaust. If there is a tune thrown into this mix then I am afraid my warranty is no longer valid. I am not even sure if the dealership would cover the suspension if it broke either. To my knowledge these aren't factory options.

My concern: If this car has a tune on it already then the warranty is shit essentially. I cannot afford a nice car without a warranty right now if something goes wrong. Essentially, this car has some aftermarket stuff that I am not sure the dealership would cover if there ever was a problem.

I am going back to the dealership on Monday to discuss some of my concerns here. How should I go about this if my car warranty is indeed already voided? They sold me a car with a warranty, and I also got a 3rd party full warranty. If the car is indeed already void on warranty then wouldn't this be seller fraud or some issue that the dealer caused?

No idea what to do here if the warranty is already void. Really need some advice if shit goes wrong. What do I do if the dealership won't stand behind the car and the warranty is trash? I am really really hoping there is no issue here, b/c I am fucking in love with this car. Thanks for the help in advance, Andy.

did the car come with a sct or diablo handheld by chance? If so then it probably has a tune on it but can be flashed back to stock tune if warranty work needs to be done, i remember reading that it has a bassani catback but what about midpipe? I have heard that if there is roush stuff installed by a dealer it is at there discretion to warranty the product. but the chances of any basic suspension, intake exhaust work voiding warranty are slim but can happen.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
the car did not come with a handheld tuning unit. It did come with the Bassani axle back. I have been trying to figure out if it has the full exhaust...looks 3'' to me but it doesnt have a x/h pipe in the midpipe section, so I dunno on that one. I am honestly ok with the suspension/exhaust stuff not being under warranty...my big concern is the engine/trans which is usually the expensive stuff.

Can Ford tell if you flash it back to stock? or will the computer store access data

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Get the car retuned, and stop worrying. The cause of what happens to the car has to be related to an aftermarket part for them to void part of the warranty. A whole warranty can't be voided. For instance, because I have a supercharger on my M3 doesn't mean they can void the warranty on my navigation unit. Also, for the BMW, the dealership is unable to see any aftermarket tune on the car, they'd have to send the ECU to BMW corporate to figure that out. Not sure how this goes with Ford though.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Get the car retuned, and stop worrying. The cause of what happens to the car has to be related to an aftermarket part for them to void part of the warranty. A whole warranty can't be voided. For instance, because I have a supercharger on my M3 doesn't mean they can void the warranty on my navigation unit. Also, for the BMW, the dealership is unable to see any aftermarket tune on the car, they'd have to send the ECU to BMW corporate to figure that out. Not sure how this goes with Ford though.

With Just an Intake and Exhaust, and it being so new, I suspect it wasn't tuned honestly. The Roush intake even uses the stock side tube thingy I saw in his pics.

The issue is if something say happens with the transmission, and the ECU is tuned, the dealer could very easily blame it on abuse, saying the ECU tune caused the car to be able to go beyond what it was capable of etc, etc. And with the issues that have been popping up with the 6 speeds on these cars I can see why he'd be concerned.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Ford is able to check if vehicles have been tuned now, even if reverted back to stock. The 2010 SHO guys are having this issue. One turned up his boost until the car went boom. Ford basically told him they were going to replace the motor once so that they could take his blown motor and use it for research but that they knew the boost was upped and the car was tuned and any further problems would be on his own dime.

I bought my 04' from a Pontiac dealer with a 3.3 pulley and an intake already installed. I never popped the appearance cover off the engine but it ended up taking out a piston and GM covered it despite the pulley. I just told them that they sold it to me like that. No arguments.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I bought my 04' from a Pontiac dealer with a 3.3 pulley and an intake already installed. I never popped the appearance cover off the engine but it ended up taking out a piston and GM covered it despite the pulley. I just told them that they sold it to me like that. No arguments.

I'm not sure he bought it from a ford dealer, which would compound this problem.

*edit*

Looks like NHTSA finally launched their investigation:
http://www.detnews.com/article/2011...Feds-investigating-new-Ford-Mustang--VW-Jetta

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Thanks for the input guys. I didn't see a roush serial number on it. It is almost like this car was put together through a dealer that sells roush models. The roush center console flap is what makes me think this. Who would spend extra money and time to swap out the lid of the center console just for the roush button? I felt like the car might have come with some of this stuff from factory like stated somehow. Just talked to the dealership I bought it from and they said a couple times the car is still under the manufacturer warranty. So I should be good I guess. I am going to take it to Ford and have them look it over amd make sure the car is still covered.

Das, I saw that last night too. I didn't realize the scope of the problem. There is a 300 some page thread on one of the stang forums about it. Pretty much people have been waiting so long that they are trying to fix the trans themselves. I can see some of their points, but it is still smoother and quieter than my rex was

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Thanks for the input guys. I didn't see a roush serial number on it. It is almost like this car was put together through a dealer that sells roush models. The roush center console flap is what makes me think this. Who would spend extra money and time to swap out the lid of the center console just for the roush button? I felt like the car might have come with some of this stuff from factory like stated somehow. Just talked to the dealership I bought it from and they said a couple times the car is still under the manufacturer warranty. So I should be good I guess. I am going to take it to Ford and have them look it over amd make sure the car is still covered.

Das, I saw that last night too. I didn't realize the scope of the problem. There is a 300 some page thread on one of the stang forums about it. Pretty much people have been waiting so long that they are trying to fix the trans themselves. I can see some of their points, but it is still smoother and quieter than my rex was

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Sep 30, 2008
Jacksonville, IL
Real Name
Danny
Does your car has a Roush serial number? IF so, then it was sold by a ford dealership like that and everything would be covered.

Also, I have not heard of Roush tuning NA models - just the supercharged ones.

it's not actually a roush edition, just has the roush suspension.
and im unsure about the dealership

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
So I should be good I guess. I am going to take it to Ford and have them look it over amd make sure the car is still covered.

Never assume with warranty stuff :squint:

A dealer may charge you $70 to even look at it if there is nothing wrong (Diagnostic fee) Just as a heads up...

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I think my next step is to bring it into a Ford dealer and have them once over the car to make sure my warranty is still in tact. I am ok with the extra fee as long as it is for peace of mind or at least to tell me there is a tune on the car. I couldn't image the suspension/intake/exhaust being the reason Ford would not service a motor or trans under warranty. I might have to give Roush a call just to check and see if the small amount of parts I have are still covered. I dunno if they will know since it isn't a roush edition, just a stang with some Roush parts.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
It really depends on the dealer. I popped my drive shaft a couple months ago. They told me that they would cover it out of the kindness of their hearts because my car has aftermarket parts and if I continue to have problems they may start voiding claims. I told them to prove any of my parts caused the failure plus I got approval from the service manager before I added anything to the car and they immediately changed their tone. Bottom line is most dealers want to help you out because they make money off of warranty work so unless they had been busted before for doing warranty work they weren't supposed they will try to help you out. Obviously there is a limit, when my friend blew his LS3 with a cam they didn't warranty it. For a know problem like the trans, they will cover it no matter what you have done to the car.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Just got done talking with a guy at our local Ford dealer. He informed me the owner is picky and will not warranty any car modified at all, even suspension or intake. He did however suggest I go to Clinton to one of the Ford dealers there. Looked it up, they are a Roush certified dealer and even have their own in house dyno and performance parts place. Going to call them tomorrow to see if I can at least set up an appt. to get my car looked at.

Since they are Roush parts on my car, might get lucky with this dealer backing them up. The other dealer said they don't even have the tech stuff to check the tunes and do that work. They just service hard parts evidently :dunno: didn't make sense, but his suggestion to go to Clinton did.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
It really depends on the dealer. I popped my drive shaft a couple months ago. They told me that they would cover it out of the kindness of their hearts because my car has aftermarket parts and if I continue to have problems they may start voiding claims. I told them to prove any of my parts caused the failure plus I got approval from the service manager before I added anything to the car and they immediately changed their tone. Bottom line is most dealers want to help you out because they make money off of warranty work so unless they had been busted before for doing warranty work they weren't supposed they will try to help you out. Obviously there is a limit, when my friend blew his LS3 with a cam they didn't warranty it. For a know problem like the trans, they will cover it no matter what you have done to the car.

This is pretty much exactly what this service guy said. I am glad I talked to him and not anyone else

did the car come with a sct or diablo handheld by chance? If so then it probably has a tune on it but can be flashed back to stock tune if warranty work needs to be done, i remember reading that it has a bassani catback but what about midpipe? I have heard that if there is roush stuff installed by a dealer it is at there discretion to warranty the product. but the chances of any basic suspension, intake exhaust work voiding warranty are slim but can happen.

They can tell it was flashed and then flashed back to factory settings.

Ford is able to check if vehicles have been tuned now, even if reverted back to stock. The 2010 SHO guys are having this issue. One turned up his boost until the car went boom. Ford basically told him they were going to replace the motor once so that they could take his blown motor and use it for research but that they knew the boost was upped and the car was tuned and any further problems would be on his own dime.

Yup. Reason warranties are basically useless. I;d rather buy the thing 5-10 years old for 25% of the money so if something goes wrong so what your so far ahead of the guy who bought it new, fix it right.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info