Post your RWD Winter experiances

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I know a while back there was a big debate about RWD vs FWD in the snow, I'm just curious what all everyone has actually DAILY DRIVEN in winter that was RWD where they spent a good amount of time in the slush etc.

Good experiences, bad, etc.

My FIRST rwd winter was winter of 2009 (My 5 speed explorer), and it was amazing how easy it was to get around. I was DEADLY afraid of what it would be like, but I found that whenever I started to loose control of the tail I'd just let off the throttle and gently counter steer and the truck would always straighten out just fine.

LAST winter I was in my 00 4X4 ranger, and it was WORTHLESS in 2wd mode, the slightest bit of acceleration resulted in wheelspin even with a fairly aggressive set of all-terrains. In 4X4 mode it was a drift machine, I could nearly drive like it was dry outside minus stopping.

Between the two I'd say the car (and its weight placement) makes a far bigger difference than the wheels driving it IMO.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Proper tires are EVERYTHING. I have Blizzaks mounted to another set of wheels and wouldnt chance winter without them.

I daily drive my lowered RWD G35 and have survived 4 winters without a problem. I can honestly say I feel safer driving my car with winter rubber than a FWD with a/s tires. At least I can steer and let off the gas if the rear comes out... While in a FWD if the front tires lose traction, so does your steering.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Agreed. I've had many RWD press cars with winter tires. The CTS-V wagon with manual trans I had in February was on high-performance winter tires and got through the snow just fine. It was a little hairy on dry cold roads, though.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
Drove the mustang one winter and was out after a snowfall. The car had summer only tires on it and it was worthless... Had to leave it at my work parking lot and call for a ride.

I bought Mark's old winter rims/tires 2 days later and the car was great in the snow.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I made it through two years of winter driving on the Mustang (with snow tires) and two years of winter driving the G8 (with snow tires).

The only time I got stuck with the Mustang is when I tried to get up the driveway that had a foot of snow piled on it.

FWD cars are for the mentally challenged.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
the mentality that FWD is safer than RWD in winter always makes me laugh. Its just another feel good cover-up auto makers used to justify switching to FWD platforms in the 80s when ultimately it was for cost savings, platform sharing, badge engineering, etc. People survived back in the day of RWD land barges with open diffs, 195 width size tires, and manual everything. They didnt plow as much, nor did they use a fuck ton of salt when it snowed 1/4 inch.

m_dogg

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 23, 2008
Iz is mentally challenged then hehe....

61aliG.jpg

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Delta 88 with bald tires, was a handful in the winter but countersteer is now engrained in me even when I get the FWD car to oversteer (trailbraking in the winter is just hilarious). Have blizzaks on the maxima for the winter anyways. Best 300 bucks I spent for that car.

Most people just think understeer is safer. Under 30 mph I can't count the number of times I made turns just because of popping the e-brake to keep the maxima from plowing straight. ABS just keeps you in a controlled straight line.

machausta

Slow VW driver
Sep 18, 2009
Eastern Tennessee
I drove my Thunderbirds through a total of 7 Chicago winters between the 4 of them... 2 in the 95 (1 with open diff, 1 with trac-lok), 2 in the super coupe (trac lok), 1 in the V6 N/A, 2 in the turbo coupe (trac-lok) and I never had any real issues with just crapass all season tires.

Actually, the Turbo Coupe was just about the best car I ever drove in snow -- very predictable. For whatever reason that car never failed to try to kill me whenever I drove it in rain though.

It really comes down to driving style...I've never driven a car with snow tires, so I always considered them a useless expense if I've made it this far without crashing in the snow and ice.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info