Opinions on VW's

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
I'm looking for a new DD and would like to get better MPG's. I won't go japanese and every American small car up to 2008 is a shitbox. I have been looking at early-mid 2000's Jetta and Golf 1.8t's. Any opinions on them? Things to stay away from, major problems? I commute about 50 miles per day so the miles will add up pretty quick.

Mr Baytchos

TCG Elite Member
Jul 8, 2007
Cortland, IL
Real Name
Anthony
I'm looking for a new DD and would like to get better MPG's. I won't go japanese and every American small car up to 2008 is a shitbox. I have been looking at early-mid 2000's Jetta and Golf 1.8t's. Any opinions on them? Things to stay away from, major problems? I commute about 50 miles per day so the miles will add up pretty quick.

step up to a 2006 or newer. better all around cars. Had a 2006 GTI and loved it. Never had any problems in the 2 years I owned it.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
The autos are garbage. The 1.8T's seem to be pretty reliable for being a vw; same with the vr6 engine. Other then the outrageous cost of parts I'd say the MK4 VW's are nice.

You should get a manual TDI jetta. engine built like a truck and they get 50mpgs.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
Keep your eye out for electrical issues but that's about it. As far as the overall brand, I'm not sure. The longer I'm in the car business the more it seems like they're just average as far as reliability goes, but they have really, really good marketing so people buy them thinking their the most reliable car you can get.

Mr Baytchos

TCG Elite Member
Jul 8, 2007
Cortland, IL
Real Name
Anthony
Thanks guys. Does anyone know the real world MPG's of a manual 1.8t? The diesel is also an option but they seem to be noticeably more expensive.

EPA mileage est. (cty/hwy): 21/29 mpg

My 2006 got 25 on average but that's the 2.0t. I think the mileage should be close. maybe a little less since the 1.8 is not DI

Get a new one with a warranty if anything. The old ones are pieces of shit. My sister finally junked her 2000 2.0L Jetta. Good fucking riddance. I was getting so sick of working on that car. It has literally blown up 3 power steering pumps, had more electrical problems than a house from the 1930's, ran like a piece of shit, and smelled like crayons inside of it. I really would have liked to set that car on fire.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
Get a new one with a warranty if anything. The old ones are pieces of shit. My sister finally junked her 2000 2.0L Jetta. Good fucking riddance. I was getting so sick of working on that car. It has literally blown up 3 power steering pumps, had more electrical problems than a house from the 1930's, ran like a piece of shit, and smelled like crayons inside of it. I really would have liked to set that car on fire.

:rofl: Sounds like an old jetta. I've heard good things about the old VR6s, but that's about it. Electrical problems are definitely common. I've smelled that in a few old VWs too, and old KIAs.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL

I feel like most Golf's/Jetta's in that time frame are just like the Cobalt SS I owned... GREAT power plant, killer aftermarket, and CAN get ok mileage, but the rest of the car is honestly fairly crappy and unreliable....

HONESTLY, go look at 2005-2007 Ford Focus's... (I think the interior in the 08-10's is HORRID, and the 00-04 ones are great cars, but the 05-07's are quite a bit better in every regard (Styling/Interior/Refinement/Etc) and worth the small premium over the 00-04 ones IMO)

I put 42K miles on my 2007 focus (auto) in 2 and a half years after buying it new. Changed the oil, gave it gas, replaced the tires at 36K, and nothing more. Interior is nothing to write home about, but I feel it was far better and more spacious feeling than anything comparable (I test drove a Neon/Caliber/Cobalt/Civic back then)

No rattles, everything had good fit, and great erganomics, a bit plasticy, but thats typical for cheap domestics...

I got 30-33 mpg basically no matter how or where I drove it. I think they've aged well, and have very 'non-offensive' styling, but aren't overly bland.

Found easily in 5 speed, and typically came with a 136hp/136tq motor (2.0 Duratech), has far more pickup than a comparable entry level civic/corolla/cobalt/etc.

You can find "ST" trim ones for great prices now as well (170hp 2.3 Duratech, came only as 5 speed sedans, and are typically fairly loaded *Heated seats, sunroof, etc*)

My 2007 SE Sedan:

PIC-0131.jpg

PIC-0127.jpg

Interior:

29.jpg

And before anyone else does it :ford:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
step up to a 2006 or newer. better all around cars. Had a 2006 GTI and loved it. Never had any problems in the 2 years I owned it.

Aren't there 2 different 2.0 turbo motors? I thought the 06-08 motors had some serious cam follower wear issues, and a hand full of other bigger 'known' problems (Waste gates sticking/blowing out, sludge issues, early DSG's)

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
If I could afford another car payment I would definitely get the cruze or a used trailblazer SS. I have it narrowed down to the first IRS explorer with a 4.0, a 2003ish Monte SS or a VW. I need it to last about 3 years. They are all in the same $5K range and judging by the MPG posted by Mr. B it seems like the Monte and 1.8t are about the same with the Monte being cheaper to maintain. I'm just so sick of my shit box 98 Monte with broken air and rotted quarters. I don't like the styling of the focus but I have considered it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info