Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
mother of infant baby jesus :wackit::wackit::wackit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUl-4BPLgfQ

The NSCRA event down here was rained out but we had a booth there representing JE Pistons and Real Street Performance. Unfortunately the event got rained out so no times. We brought our daily driven Subaru that runs 10.9 with a best mph of 131(was making about 500-525whp) and a customers Turbo Ariel Atom that we built. Here are some of the specs on it.

K20A2 Engine
JE Pistons
Carrillo H Beam with Carr Bolts
Ferrea Valvetrain
Real Street Performance Turbo Kit with Precision Billet 6262 Turbo
Motec M800 ECU
Motec SDL3 Dashboard
4.052 Final Drive

and here are some pictures from the event.

I will make a build thread soon of the atom with more pictures and video of it.

j0sxkw89-B.jpg

rmy89b9e-B.jpg

g3xq2dqs-B.jpg

fdwb2ud4-B.jpg

g9r8ozro-B.jpg

1lauqj7b-B.jpg

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
That is cool. Go Kart on steroids for sure. Would be a fun toy. :riski:

i would rather take the v8 atom, on a car like that i wouldn't want turbo lag but it is defiantly cool.

People need to stop talking about turbo lag. With the right turbo for an application there is no lag. We tuned a buddies car last week. On a non-load dyno the car made instant boost, full boost in about a half a second and still made 650+rwhp (through a power robbing AOD) with no problem. Well that is not true.........traction on the rollers was a issue when boost came on. hahaha

Turbo technology has come a long way. I wish I had money to play with variable vain technology turbos. instant spool and 1000+rwhp with out any back pressure issues? Sign me up!

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Well, that looked rediculous. I enjoyed watching the dudes head get thrown back into the seat as soon as the power came on.

PressureRatio- I dunno if that technology is new or really expensive, but there are very few cars I have had a ride in that are turboed without turbo lag. If everything is built right, I agree that there should not be any lag. I just don't see that happen often.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I am sure it is the combination of technology getting more efficient comp and turbine wheels, making them lighter, having more offerings available to suit different combo and just the fact that more people understand turbos and combinations.

Now the variable vain is newer technology and is expensive due to limited OE applications. Mainly diesel applications. But I am sure more and more automotive applications will have offerings for them as well.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Buy a shifter kart. For $5000, it's about the best performing thing you can buy. 2.5 to 3.0 G's while a couple inches off the ground is nuts. My arms hurt really bad after driving one.

A buddy bought a used kart a month ago. Cost wise it was not that bad at all. He is having way more fun at the autocross than he with his purpose built MR2 and Fiero. He wants me to buy one. If he finds me a good deal I might get one. I want to try some autocross but don't want to go out and buy a car to do it. A kart seems like a good idea.

I think some of his buddies bout karts that were not shifter karts. Just a CV style clutch set up I would guess. They are less costly and still handle like mad.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
A buddy bought a used kart a month ago. Cost wise it was not that bad at all. He is having way more fun at the autocross than he with his purpose built MR2 and Fiero. He wants me to buy one. If he finds me a good deal I might get one. I want to try some autocross but don't want to go out and buy a car to do it. A kart seems like a good idea.

I think some of his buddies bout karts that were not shifter karts. Just a CV style clutch set up I would guess. They are less costly and still handle like mad.

You can find a used CRG, Tony Kart, or TAG 125CC Kart every so often on eBay. I've seen them go for $2500 to $5000 race ready. Tires and parts are cheap. You'd enjoy it. Vogz knows a place out by him where you can rent shifter karts. We should all go in the Fall. I'd love to drive one again.

What your buddy got is probably a Pro Kart.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I am all for renting some. With Autocross events seeming to becoming popular I would think about buying some thing. A cheaper cart to start with at least. Learn the ropes and see if I really have a interest in it. Let me know if you guys do some thing.

You'll like it, but your wallet won't.

Another thing to look at is a Spec Miata. They aren't very fast in a straight line, but they carry speed through corners and are cheap to maintain. You can find competive SM's for under 10K. For example:
http://specmiataclassifieds.com/SMF...e67626b33bc01cf0f526ad50f7fd7f47&topic=2013.0

That is cool. Go Kart on steroids for sure. Would be a fun toy. :riski:

People need to stop talking about turbo lag. With the right turbo for an application there is no lag. We tuned a buddies car last week. On a non-load dyno the car made instant boost, full boost in about a half a second and still made 650+rwhp (through a power robbing AOD) with no problem. Well that is not true.........traction on the rollers was a issue when boost came on. hahaha

Turbo technology has come a long way. I wish I had money to play with variable vain technology turbos. instant spool and 1000+rwhp with out any back pressure issues? Sign me up!

I agree that turbo lag is nowhere near what it was in the past, is a 62mm turbo around the size of a gt35? from what i have seen as far as hondas/evos that seens to be the the ideal turbo for big power while still being able to get on it at low rpms in a higher gear and not accelerate like a prius. To me NA and road racing go hand in hand but hey thats just my opinion.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info