where do they buy used rotors?

Turtle

Addict
Mar 21, 2011
These hispanic (not the be racist but they all are) pickers roaming the alleys in their pickups, always stop by and ask if i had used rotors when i'm out in my garage.

I guess they remembered me when i did a lot of brake work, i always left it on top of my garbage cans and they are always gone in 24 hours.

Who buys them and what are they worth? I called couple scrap metal yards and well no one wants them. I have about 14 or so left in a pile, i figure if i can get $10 for lot i would be a happy camper. But if these guys are selling for $5 each, i would like to get a little more them.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
There are a few metal recyclers in Aurora that you can bring 'bulk' scrap to that they pay by pound for. Dunno why the guys in your area are specifically after brake rotors, but they will take anything metal.

I dropped off a Core Support, Hood, Door panel, Rim, and a torque converter and got like $16 like 5 years ago... Never bother anymore since its a half hour drive and the gas it'd cost anyways.

Turtle

Addict
Mar 21, 2011
i have no clue but they seem mighty thirsty for rotors.

I haven't put out anything as of late, last month i think i put out a old AC condenser and now they ask me everytime they see my garage up. I thought maybe scrap metal prices jumped thru the roofs or something.

I was being nice to leave them on my garbage for them to easily pick. Yea most of the yards i called were a LONG ass drive from the city and none of them wanted it. Only thing i can see that MIGHT be worth is are cat converters.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I dropped my metal shed and got 24 dollars, the only reason I did it was because I did not want to drag it to the front of the house and look at it. I had to put it on the trailer to get it out front anyway so I figured I will just haul it the whole way there...

where are you located? Ill take any rotors not wanted.

i take em to the scrap yard like dasfinc said. you wont get shit for a pair of rotors tho. all steel is really low in price right now so you have to take bulk. we save up about 500lbs and get roughly a 100$ for it.

the mexis just got the scrap yard as well... its just decent steel weight to them.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
where are you located? Ill take any rotors not wanted.

i take em to the scrap yard like dasfinc said. you wont get shit for a pair of rotors tho. all steel is really low in price right now so you have to take bulk. we save up about 500lbs and get roughly a 100$ for it.

This is why you see those horrid scrap trucks loaded to the absolute brim with metal sagging to the ground.

Turtle

Addict
Mar 21, 2011
yeap... but they walk out with stacks of 100s all day. i see it everytime im there.

they have to because most of them roll around in F150's or 1500 chevys. i dont know my trucks but most of them in that bad of shape should only make 15mpg at best. They are in my alley's fri/sat/sun because monday is trash day.

So realistically i cant ask for $1 per rotor from them because they dont bank much?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info