Thoughts on an E60 545i as a "fun" car?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Grand Prix is pretty much sold and I'm casually thinking of what I want to replace it. I've been hanging on the 996 Porsche Carrera's nuts for awhile now but I think my wife is going to be a hard sell. We're 5 weeks away from our first rugrat. Truth be told, it's the most practical "true" sports car I've looked at. It has a back seat that I can stuff a car seat in and it's all wheel drive. I can actually get a tiny bit of utility out of it but it's a Porsche and there's not much you can do to "sell" that.

So I'm weighing options that would still be fun but that appear more practical. Among them are the Mercedes E55, M3 (03' body style) and the E60 545i.

I have a little experience with the 5 series. Before buying my wife's XC90 I was test driving 5 series to potentially take as my own and give my wife the A8. Ultimately we decided to go with the XC90 though. Anyhow, I drove a 530i with the 6 speed manual and the sport package. It was an awesome car but lacked speed. That was my only complaint.

So you can get the 545 with the 6 speed as well (or the SMG) and I'm thinking that might be a pretty bad-ass car to make fast. They apparently respond to mods pretty well too. More importantly, the car still has a lot of utility. It would also have nav and be fully optioned and I'm a man that likes his options so that's a big plus for me over some of the other cars I'm looking at.

So what say you TCG? Would a 6 speed 545i bumped to 400hp at the crank be a fun car?

As for why no E39 M5, I like the new body style better and like the new interior a lot better. Just in case someone is going to make that suggestion.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I REALLY don't like the body style of the E60's honestly, but that's just my 2 cents.

What happened to your A8? or is that your DD? The Infinity still around/sold?

Ever consider an S4? The V-8 ones are not terribly expensive at all thanks to new generation ones, Ditto on the S5's?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I REALLY don't like the body style of the E60's honestly, but that's just my 2 cents.
Really that's subjective though. I think it looks better than the current body style by a ton.

What happened to your A8? or is that your DD? The Infinity still around/sold?
I sold the Infiniti to buy the A8. Still have it and am keeping it. It's probably the best driving car I've owned which is saying something considering it weighs 4500lbs. Seriously, if you ever get a chance to drive an 04+ A8 do it and marvel in how absolutely small the car feels when you push it. I love my land barge.

Ever consider an S4? The V-8 ones are not terribly expensive at all thanks to new generation ones, Ditto on the S5's?
S5's are pretty underpowered for what they are. My brother had one and I didn't care too much for it. The S4 is an A4 and it would be tough to get into that after rolling around in the A8 on a daily basis. Plus I'm just not sold on their looks.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Really that's subjective though. I think it looks better than the current body style by a ton.

I sold the Infiniti to buy the A8. Still have it and am keeping it. It's probably the best driving car I've owned which is saying something considering it weighs 4500lbs. Seriously, if you ever get a chance to drive an 04+ A8 do it and marvel in how absolutely small the car feels when you push it. I love my land barge.

S5's are pretty underpowered for what they are. My brother had one and I didn't care too much for it. The S4 is an A4 and it would be tough to get into that after rolling around in the A8 on a daily basis. Plus I'm just not sold on their looks.

A bit sad to hear the S5 is underpowered, I love the way they look.

Any aftermarket for the A8? I remember seeing TT and Roots blower kits for the audi 4.2.

I would go for a toy (03 M3, Porsche etc) Over another sedan honestly since you already have the A8 especially.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I recommend an old Ford Truck. Lots of utility and you had a heck of a lot of fun hauling your bike with it.
I see what you did there...

What's your budget, and would a 335 be too small (or expensive) for what you're looking for?
I like the 5 series better, even if it's larger. I'd go with a 535 before the 335.

I'd also suggets an e55 like you said, can be had for a pretty good price now, and you can do simple mods to the s/c and make niiiice power
I love the power. I'm just not sold on Mercedes' tech for that era. The COMAND system sucks. Also, I like the look of the 5 series a lot more but yeah, the E55 is fun right out of the box with a lot of potential.

Any aftermarket for the A8? I remember seeing TT and Roots blower kits for the audi 4.2.
I'd just grab a 450hp W12 A8 before I started messing with mine. It's great at what it does right now and is fast enough for it's purpose.

I would go for a toy (03 M3, Porsche etc) Over another sedan honestly since you already have the A8 especially.
I'd love the Porsche. My wife, not so much plus I can grab the 545 for about 10k less. That's not a deal breaker but makes it relatively enticing, plus it's an easier sell for her and it has a lot more practicality than the Porsche.

Honestly I say a GXP G8 should be up your alley. If you can find one
I have a 400hp 04' Grand Prix right now. As ridiculously fast as these cars are, they're not driver's cars. The GXP makes huge strides at fixing some of the platform's shortcomings but at the end of the days it's still really limited, and I can't slide the ass out with throttle. :fu:

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
I have a 400hp 04' Grand Prix right now. As ridiculously fast as these cars are, they're not driver's cars. The GXP makes huge strides at fixing some of the platform's shortcomings but at the end of the days it's still really limited, and I can't slide the ass out with throttle. :fu:

A G8 will slide its ass out plenty if you can find one with the third pedal

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Just get an air cooled 911 turbo. Less stuff to break and boxer reliability. BAM sold her on it.
I HATE the older body style 911's. I realize I might be in the minority there but I am just not a fan.

You make the dollars though... Just sayin'.
Nah, Jewel knocked me back down to bag boy. I'm working on my savings.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info