Daily driver suggestions?

F

FormulaLS1

Looking to buy a new DD soon...will be commuting to school next year and want to get something that gets decent gas mileage but is still quick/fun to drive. My Camry just isn't cutting it (92 XLE...low mileage, but since it has the V6 it isn't very fuel efficient and it is SLOW). I was thinking maybe an MKV GTI (06-08) with DSG but am open to suggestions. Also, any opinions on the GTI? I wouldn't be going crazy with mods on the car when I do get one...would be doing like basic bolt ons/tune. Willing to spend about 15k for the right car. Also, I'd be driving it in the winter so it would have to be AWD or FWD. Thanks for the help!

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
anything that isn't rwd isn't fun to drive:hsugh:

buy a civic si. its fwd, faster than a camry, gets better mpg than a camry, and theres plenty of aftermarket parts for the bolt ons and tune that you would want. For 15g you could get a really nice one and it'll hold its value pretty well. They come in stick too. They don't have as much tq as a gti but are pretty much just as fast in a straight line because they weigh much less.

F

FormulaLS1

I say an EVO or WRX would fit the budget and be fun. The wife has an 06 STI with 76K miles and we have not had an issue with it. The car is an awesome DD.

Evo/Sti are very tempting but the gas mileage on them isn't as good as something like a GTI and if I got one of them I know it would be difficult for me to not go crazy with mods haha

Do you want auto? I saw you said DSG.

Not necessarily...I've just heard a lot of good things about DSG to the point where I'd prefer it over the manual on that car

What's your price range? Why do people think FWD is better in the winter than RWD?

Willing to spend up to about 15k. Haven't ever had any problems with fwd in the winter but I'm sure some rwd cars can do fine especially with snow tires. What did you have in mind?

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
I'll start off with the obvious Honda civic. Also take a serious look at Nissan's. The newish ones have REALLY grown on me. I took a sentra for a 2.5 hour round trip and used an eight of a tank. The CVT transmissions also give the feeling of good torque. I was very very impressed with the last maxima I drove. Loaded with options, not too expensive, and was actually decently quick. Also that gas mileage was with me beating on it, who knows how good it could be if I drove it nice.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
I don't have anything in mind really, I'm just saying, don't count out a car for the winter simply because it's RWD. I've only driven RWD in the winter, and have never had a problem and both cars have had over 300hp.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Going from a v8 car to a civic si is going to kill you. They have to be revved out to even start to feel peppy...and even then its not much to write home about.

I vote GTI. You get a low 14 second car that somehow gets 30+ mpg's on the highway. A tune and diverter valve nets you nearly 50whp reliably.

Turtle

Addict
Mar 21, 2011
The gti have small issues that need to be addressed right away, I forget what all of them are but cam follwers are one, and a DSG issue. 15k might get u a 2008+ MKVI, which should have all silly issues taken care of and is now chain driven.

I've also heard with a tune and up/down pipes that you are at the Max of what the DSG can handle. DSG fluid service isn't something that everyone can do at home

Sent from my Nexus One

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
How about a E46 330xi? Not going to be fast, but you can "comfortably" seat four, get good gas mileage and reliability (generally speaking, as I know someone's going to come out saying wtf am I talking about reliability) You'll have all wheel drive, leather, heated seats, sunroof, etc. If I were you, I'd just aim for something you'll be satisfied with without having to mod.

Mazdaspeed 6 I would also suggest and can be had right around the 14k mark

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
How about a E36 330xi? Not going to be fast, but you can "comfortably" seat four, get good gas mileage and reliability (generally speaking, as I know someone's going to come out saying wtf am I talking about reliability) You'll have all wheel drive, leather, heated seats, sunroof, etc. If I were you, I'd just aim for something you'll be satisfied with without having to mod.

Mazdaspeed 6 I would also suggest and can be had right around the 14k mark

Yeah an xi wouldn't be a bad dd at all. As far as the mazda, they're nice cars, but I feel like there's nicer ones for 14k.

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
maybe i don't understand the full story behind your motivation to get another car is...maybe you are more geared towards getting something a bit more modern and peppier than the camry than something with better mileage.

if its just the mileage alone then i don't see how spending 10k on another car is financially sound...

figure your camry gets 20mpg. 15 gallon tank for ease of comparison

figure a commute of 50 miles a day, 5 days a week, 180 days a 'school year'...so thats 9000 miles at an average of 20mpg which means you went through 450 gallons of gas at 4$ a gallon figure 1800 dollars.

lets say you get another car that gets 40 mpg...
50miles a day, 180 school days at an average of 40mpg so thats 225 gallons of gas at 4$ a gallon thats 900 bucks with a savings of 900 dollars per school year.

lets say you are going to school for anesthesiology and will be commuting that mileage for 13 years...

with your camry, you'd spend 23,400 dollars on gas
with the new car, 11,700...

a savings of 11,700.

it took ya 10 years to make up for that initial investment of 10,000.

now there may be other options, such as vehicle age...a 2004 will "hopefully" last longer than your 92, althoguh from what i've seen...i do a lot less work on early 90s cars than i do 2000+ cars....could be the lack of obdii though lol

not trying to sway you, but its a pet peeve of mine when people say that they want to get a new car due to gas mileage alone...i know you said something peppier and fun

now for a recommendation: cruze! gangster lil cars, awesome warranty, somewhat peppy but very comfortable car. probably sucks in the winter but some BLIZZAKS would fix that ey?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info