If your headgaskets aren't leaking... should you bother replacing them?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Eagle's thread reminded me that I'm nearing 'crunch time' for going to the next stage with the ranger (Cam kit, roller rockers, Headers, Pulley down, colder plugs, maybe spray...)

The motor in my ranger is a 98 Explorer 5.0 V-8 motor, that has about 92K on it now, the last 3K has seen 5PSI of boost daily (not much I know). It hasn't missed a beat and has shown no signs of having any compression/HG issues.

With a new cam, 8PSI, and maybe spray, I was wondering if it was cheap insurance to go ahead and replace the HG and use ARP studs, or "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" was a better mentality in the case of such a mild build?

Opinions?

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
It all depends. I know plenty of persons have low boost(less than 8psi on an ls1) builds without doing it. As said before. If you are pulling the head, then why not use a better headgasket. If not, leave it alone. I don't know anything about your particular build, but if conservative you might be ok

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
If you're pulling the heads off, I would.

If you're not already, then this is a harder decision.

I do not plan on pulling the heads unless it is specifically to replace the gaskets as insurance. I'm not having any head or valve work done. I've had some bad experience in the past with popping fresh head gaskets so I'm especially gun shy.

To my understanding I can replace the valve springs and retainers without having to pull the head off, is that correct??? (5.0 guys)

The list (Half the parts I already have, some on order, some need money...)

Headers, Cam kit (Springs, Retainers, Gear/Chain, Cam), 1.7 Roller Rockers, 2.0 Super Charger Pulley, colder spark plugs, and some gaskets etc is what is going on the truck over the next 3 months.

its not like its the hardest job to do on that on your truck so when and if it does then change it then

I honestly don't know if I can do it with the engine in the truck... I can't even fit my fingers between the firewall and the driver side valve cover....... keep in mind, late model rangers never had a V-8, I swapped this truck back in March of 2010.

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
i would do it... especially after what i went through on my neon... long story short i had the exhaust and intake mani off...figured what the hell ill pull the head and do head gasket and timing belt since im halfway there...turns out i burnt 2 exhaust valves on the #4 cyl....it ran fine the previous year but none the less im glad i did it!

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
is the engine going to be out for the cam swap?
if so i'd put fresh gaskets in. it's going to be out of commission for the cam swap anyways, why not take a little more time to avoid bigger problems down the road.

If you're pulling the head, you replace the gasket. FI or not. Just good practice.

The engine doesn't have to be coming out for the cam swap, and 8PSI is the most this motor will ever see. (No good Inter-cooling options with a roots blower on a 5.0)

Essentially I'm replacing the core support on the truck since its rusty, and I'm converting the front end to a 2003 style.

While the core support is out I'll have full access to the front of the motor to change the cam out. I can get the valve covers off, but I'm unsure if I have the clearance to get the heads off with it still in the truck.

so to replace the HG's I'll have to pull the motor again, and nothing else I'm doing would require that.

SRT/Tbird have a REALLY good point though that I didn't think about... Its not that much $ to get the heads inspected if I do pull them, and it would ensure the engines longevity (Runs fine, but could have burnt valves etc).

Essentially I'm replacing the core support on the truck since its rusty, and I'm converting the front end to a 2003 style.

Don't do it. The 98-00s are classic. I vote leave it be. The 01-03's look a touch generic to me. If your intent on modifying it go with the 04-06 with the big crome grill and it still retained the chrome bumper (albiet a thin sliver of its former self). But that will necessitate changing hoods too. That is unless you have a thing for the 01-03 look.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Don't do it. The 98-00s are classic. I vote leave it be. The 01-03's look a touch generic to me. If your intent on modifying it go with the 04-06 with the big crome grill and it still retained the chrome bumper (albiet a thin sliver of its former self). But that will necessitate changing hoods too. That is unless you have a thing for the 01-03 look.

I'm a big fan of the 01-03 black 'honeycomb' grill and hood, especially with the OEM Brazillian lights (Black housings)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info