holly crap painting is tough -

Well I decided I wanted to paint the window sections of my TSW wheels yellow to match the truck. 1st attempt was Krylon and, well not even close to color match. Sanded it off. Called an auto paint store. They mixed up and packaged in spray bombs some black and color match yellow. Four cans of clear, some primer and $250 later I'm set for a base coat/clear coat.

Wet sanded the wheels with 400 and sprayed the wheels black. Layed out tape and sprayed the windows yellow, pulled the tape and found blue masking makes for great house tape but not so much for auto layouts. Edges were so rough it looked like a 4th grader masked it off. Layed down one coat of clear on everything (guess thats what your supposed to do with base/clear for extended periods of time) and back to the paint store for some fine line tape and more clear.

Skuffed the finish and layed out some more (new) tape. Found out I most likely didnt do so great of a job with my initial prep job 'cause when I pulled some of the vinyl tape up if pulled paint wiith it. I let it dry for about 2hr (recomendation of paint shop) however it's humid as a mother today. Maybe shoulda let it go longer?

Skuffed up the finish and sanded the areas that lifted, blasted everything black with three coats clear. they look good but I know it wont last due to (most likely) a poor prep job.

Sonofabitch this crap is a pain in the ass. I'll let 'em dry a coupe days and try to re-tape again and see if the black lifts. If so I guess I'll have the wheels media blasted and start over. An expensive learning curve here...

IDK, some paints and masking tapes, you gotta carefully pull it off right away, some you have to wait for it to "skin over", some you might as well wait til it dries. My dad always recommends that green 3M stuff for taping, I think its similar to that frog tape that's out there...

Well, I was calling around to see if a local place had auto tape and I spoke with Sherwin Williams. The guy said Frog tape is the best thing but he was not an auto painter. I called the place where I picked up the paint and they kinda laughed.. so I went with thier recomendation. I was pretty careful, pulling at better than 90 deg., but still lifted. Maybe it was the high humidity? Still have enough base and clear to try again. I'm gonna let it set for a week, maybe try frog tape on some scrap and see what the lines look like. Frick man, now I know why those profesionals make good money at this... Taping is such a bitch!

Krash7051

Addict
Jan 20, 2011
Painting is a complete pain in the ass, and if your prep/finishing work isn't on point it's going to look like shit. I painted my bike a couple years ago and it was definitely a learning experience. When they mixed your paint did they put the sealant in it? Also with stuff lifting you gotta make sure you give it enough flash time in between coats or you'll get solvent pop, it's pretty annoying.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info