Advise! ...1996 Ford Explorer losing antifreeze and has a sweet smelling exhaust????

This girl I know has been losing anti-freeze at a pretty good clip in her 1996 Ford Explorer. No leaks at all. When she starts it and its cold the white smoke wafts ut of her tail pipe every so often.

So she is def. sucking in antifreeze into the combustion chamber, but my question is: Is this occuring through a intake manifold or the head gaskets?

I don't have the time or inclination to play with this for her and her mechanic said he can't tell untill he pressure tests the system. But, if it is a bad head gasket at that point she probably buying the job.

It is 4.0 v6 pushrod engine with 4wd and only 65,000 miles.

Any great mechanics or Ford gurus chime in

HEAD GASKET OR INTAKE MANIFOLD

and why you think so.

Tiffani thanks in you in advance for your input.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
typically intake gaskets on these leak externally. my first guess would be H/G
how quickly does it lose antifreeze?

Like Bikrboy said, the intake gaskets do like to leak externally (I have a 97 OHV Explorer, and a 00 OHV Ranger, they both leaked)

HOWEVER, they SPECIFICALLY like to leak off the back of the engine I've found, which is right over the Cats/Exhaust, and it drove me bananas.

The sweet smell may not be coming straight out of the pipes, but may be coolant burning off on the exhaust.

on a side-note, the H/G's on these engines are typically not a common problem. Far more common for the 3.0's and 3.8 engine families to let go of a head gasket compared to the 4.0's

machausta

Slow VW driver
Sep 18, 2009
Eastern Tennessee
Like Bikrboy said, the intake gaskets do like to leak externally (I have a 97 OHV Explorer, and a 00 OHV Ranger, they both leaked)

HOWEVER, they SPECIFICALLY like to leak off the back of the engine I've found, which is right over the Cats/Exhaust, and it drove me bananas.

The sweet smell may not be coming straight out of the pipes, but may be coolant burning off on the exhaust.

on a side-note, the H/G's on these engines are typically not a common problem. Far more common for the 3.0's and 3.8 engine families to let go of a head gasket compared to the 4.0's

3.0s aren't very common to blow HGs either. 3.8s with the 98+ mustang (MLS) HGs don't blow very often either.

x2 on what Dan said otherwise, if you don't have antifreeze in the oil its probably leaking onto the cats.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
if its a headgasket the radiator hose will be soft after sitting overnight (no pressure) but after less than 3-5minutes of running (before engine reaches operating temp ie lukewarm) the hoses will be hard from combustion pressure leaking into the cooling system.

white steam/conensate out of the exhaust tips every so often at cold startup can happen to all vehicles, do the exhaust gases at this time smell sweet?

ive had the heater cores leak into/under the pass side carpet so you might check there too

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info