thinking of rear end gears

i have a few questions. first is i have a ten bolt as you all know. i am thinking about going to a taller gears for my car. i was thinking 3.55 so i can still drive highway and not brake the bank on making the motor scream down the highway. so i wanted to know what you guys think cause im also getting a built trans. I didnt know if they could build the over drive so it almost like an under drive so i could go to a 3.73 and still cruise on the highway at like 70 and now have my motor at 3500rpms. so ill shut up now and let you guys tell me whats up

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
i have a few questions. first is i have a ten bolt as you all know. i am thinking about going to a taller gears for my car. i was thinking 3.55 so i can still drive highway and not brake the bank on making the motor scream down the highway. so i wanted to know what you guys think cause im also getting a built trans. I didnt know if they could build the over drive so it almost like an under drive so i could go to a 3.73 and still cruise on the highway at like 70 and now have my motor at 3500rpms. so ill shut up now and let you guys tell me whats up

1) shorter gear = quicker acceleration, higher numerical value
taller gear= slower acceleration, lower numerical value

2) no one builds overdrive, there is no torque multiplication in overdrive, rather, there is torque reduction, if you are going WOT you should never be in overdrive. your overdrive should still be functional even with a built trans.

3) get a lock-up torque converter, single disc will fly if you don't want WOT lockup, multi-disc is ideal if you have the cash to blow on it. if you don't require lock-up on WOT, then single disc is fine and you will essentially have a 5th gear.

4) you should be able to find a calculator online that will give you exact RPMs at X speed (i could give you the equation but eff that, too lazy)

5) many stock ls1s came with 3.42s, the difference between 3.73 and 3.42 is negligible 9% increase.

just go with 3.73s or 4.11s. ... 4.56s suck unless you have 30 inch tires lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info